Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

70 MPH = 4000 Revs ?

2.4 is 4 gear. It is confusing as there is no label stating 4 anywhere however 4 gear option is on the same level as 3-D, just on the left (straight down from N).

Oh that is confusing,

thanks for the info.

This is my first automatic and I thought 3D meant 3 gears 😞

Anyway - I do drive it with 3D selected and that is when the revs seem high.

Tomorrow I will take it out and try to count the gear changes and see if it is selecting 4th or if I am stuck in 3rd.

Ill report back 🙂

H Nov, I just came back here to post this to you -

I am very grateful you took the time to respond to my post. You may be right that I have a missing gear.

I took the Alphard out today trying to count gear changes

But the gear changes are so very smooth I can hardly notice them.

I 'think' it changes twice by the time iv hit 30mph and I don't think it changes again after that.

I took it up to 90mph to see if another gear kicked in but it didn't. It was at 5000 revs at 90mph.

But I find it hard to believe it can do 90 in 3rd gear.

Perhaps I need to consult a mechanic.

What do you think ?

Thanks

But now I have just read your last post and I must say I had no idea that the left and right of the D3 slot makes any difference

I think I do always pull it to the right.

Ill take another run on the motorway tomorrow and see what happens .

Its possible that you may have just saved me a fortune sir .

Ill report back again

15 hours ago, shawn said:

H Nov, I just came back here to post this to you -

I am very grateful you took the time to respond to my post. You may be right that I have a missing gear.

I took the Alphard out today trying to count gear changes

But the gear changes are so very smooth I can hardly notice them.

I 'think' it changes twice by the time iv hit 30mph and I don't think it changes again after that.

I took it up to 90mph to see if another gear kicked in but it didn't. It was at 5000 revs at 90mph.

But I find it hard to believe it can do 90 in 3rd gear.

Perhaps I need to consult a mechanic.

What do you think ?

Thanks

But now I have just read your last post and I must say I had no idea that the left and right of the D3 slot makes any difference

I think I do always pull it to the right.

Ill take another run on the motorway tomorrow and see what happens .

Its possible that you may have just saved me a fortune sir .

Ill report back again

Yes, it is confusing to have  2 driving modes on one level. When in D you should see around 3000revs at 70mph.

• Like 1

I took a spin up and down the motorway today at 70 to 75mph and rev counter didn't even get to 3000 🙂

Iv owned the van for over 2 months and it seems iv never got out of 3rd gear .

Doh Doh Doh!

How embarrassing. 😡

I am such a comped idiot !

Also I am probably lucky not to have damaged it, I recently did a 450 mile round trip from Essex to Devon and back, Mostly on the motorway in 3rd at 4000 plus revs.

I thought i used a lot of petrol that day 🤥

Catweazle you are right – I do have a green D on my dashboard. I saw it today for the first time.

And Nov, I don't only owe you a drink, I owe you a really really big drink. THANK YOU.

Now I feel like I should win a prize for the most stupid question on the forum. hahaha

I dont know how I can better this ?

How about - Iv noticed that when I put the gear selector in L for turning left it works ok, but when I select R for turning right the van goes backwards? 🤣

Ha ha ha

Im not going to live this down am I.

Well I also did not know this! I have a 5 spd 2005 Alphard which I’ve had since 1st May this year (2017 import) and I’ve been driving in ‘4’ since I bought it; only done one long journey so doubt any harm has been done , but I agree, seems a bit silly to put full auto range and full range minus one on the same level on the gearbox, but this is my first ever auto vehicle so perhaps this is standard. How lucky I am to have gained this info now! Thanks, Will

Not a stupid question at all!! if you don't know, then you don't know and it's always best to ask and find out.

You may have helped someone else who didn't feel able to ask the question so all good.

But no, you'll never live it down lol😉

I’m very grateful for this forum and grateful for Shawn asking the daft question which I am so daft I didn’t even know I should be asking!