Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Swing Out Carry System

Hi, fellow Alphard fans. Our 2006 camper conversion is nearing completion and we can’t wait to get ‘oot and aboot’. I’ve been researching additional storage for longer trips and wonder if anyone has advice/experience or recommendations for a ‘Swing Out Carry System’. I want to be able to carry a strong storage box with front, rather than top opening, and to be able to sit two bike racks on top of the box. In order open the back door, I want to simply swing the assembly out of the way for access to the rear of the vehicle. without the need for dismantlement.

All/any advice will be gratefully received.

Kind Regards 

1 hour ago, William Morrison said:

Hi, fellow Alphard fans. Our 2006 camper conversion is nearing completion and we can’t wait to get ‘oot and aboot’. I’ve been researching additional storage for longer trips and wonder if anyone has advice/experience or recommendations for a ‘Swing Out Carry System’. I want to be able to carry a strong storage box with front, rather than top opening, and to be able to sit two bike racks on top of the box. In order open the back door, I want to simply swing the assembly out of the way for access to the rear of the vehicle. without the need for dismantlement.

All/any advice will be gratefully received.

Kind Regards 

Hello William,

Welcome to the Forum.

Welcome to Alphard ownership and Camparding.

I have never come across a 'swing out' system suitable for an Alphard.

The conventional way of carrying bikes, with or without a storage box, is by fitting a tow bar.

Several members have done this, but availability can be difficult.

Thanks Rojie,

Sounds like, with a little bit of ingenuity, there’s a market to be explored. I’ve seen some cracking examples on American sites, on other types of vehicles.
The attached picture is the kind of thing I would like (from a UK site), but sat on a swing out arm.

I have some really excellent engineering mates so I might crib the US examples and see what I can come up with. 

IMG_4421.jpeg

1 hour ago, William Morrison said:

Thanks Rojie,

Sounds like, with a little bit of ingenuity, there’s a market to be explored. I’ve seen some cracking examples on American sites, on other types of vehicles.
The attached picture is the kind of thing I would like (from a UK site), but sat on a swing out arm.

I have some really excellent engineering mates so I might crib the US examples and see what I can come up with. 

IMG_4421.jpeg

Unfortunately, this photo does not appear to show the swinging mechanism; just the load carrying straps.

Alphies don't have that wide door frame to attach the load bearing anchor plates to.

I have seen swing systems on other Toyotas, but not Alphards.

Good Luck.