Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Affixing a reversing camera that is hanging by its cable!

Hi. We have a 2008 Alphard with a reversing camera that has come unfixed.  It looks as though the hinged fixing plate was attached with double sided adhesive tape that has detached. The fixing plate has screw holes but to get access to fix it looks very tight and difficult. Any helpful ideas please?IMG_0515.thumb.jpeg.db8536b6134c57e0ae69d0382c7bdce3.jpeg

Tape not a brilliant idea re amount of water deposited on rear door.

Our 2002 ‘G’ model has camera above yours on horizontal ledge above number plate, original Toyota set up I believe.

I’d try Halfords for new 3m double sided sticky pads in the meantime. The ones we had with our Viofo camera were very good although inside, but condensation never affected them (motorhome btw)

1 hour ago, Kibby John. said:

Hi. We have a 2008 Alphard with a reversing camera that has come unfixed.  It looks as though the hinged fixing plate was attached with double sided adhesive tape that has detached. The fixing plate has screw holes but to get access to fix it looks very tight and difficult. Any helpful ideas please?IMG_0515.thumb.jpeg.db8536b6134c57e0ae69d0382c7bdce3.jpeg

Hello John,

Welcome to the Forum.

1 hour ago, Clutha said:

Tape not a brilliant idea re amount of water deposited on rear door.

Our 2002 ‘G’ model has camera above yours on horizontal ledge above number plate, original Toyota set up I believe.

I’d try Halfords for new 3m double sided sticky pads in the meantime. The ones we had with our Viofo camera were very good although inside, but condensation never affected them (motorhome btw)

Thanks for the helpful comment.The camera was situated with the plate just inside the rounded edged oblong opening into which the cable disappears. The remnants of the adhesive ? pad were stuck to an angled flat piece of inside bodywork. I’ll get and try the 3M sticky pads. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kibby John. said:

Thanks for the helpful comment.The camera was situated with the plate just inside the rounded edged oblong opening into which the cable disappears. The remnants of the adhesive ? pad were stuck to an angled flat piece of inside bodywork. I’ll get and try the 3M sticky pads. 

That camera is an after market one, the original was fixed inside that opening onto the metal of the door, I replaced the original on mine as it was not suitable for the new head unit, I had to remove the trim then drill and screw the bracket into place

• Thanks 1

Forget  the ideal of using self-adhesive tape even the best tape made (IBM) will deteriorate in time use a polymer based adhesive , if you do make sure you support the camera whilst the adhesive sets can take up to 5-6 hrs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dezufo said:

That camera is an after market one, the original was fixed inside that opening onto the metal of the door, I replaced the original on mine as it was not suitable for the new head unit, I had to remove the trim then drill and screw the bracket into place

Thanks for your help. The trim removal looks daunting to me - even the interior trim removal, to replace light bulbs, looks a big job for a not rare event. 

1 hour ago, ThuMentaliss said:

Forget  the ideal of using self-adhesive tape even the best tape made (IBM) will deteriorate in time use a polymer based adhesive , if you do make sure you support the camera whilst the adhesive sets can take up to 5-6 hrs

I had thought about epoxy type adhesive but supporting the camera and mount whilst it sets will be challenging in a confined area. May have to give it a go though as adhesives and vibration  + wet and road oil/dirt seem like a recipe for failure. Thanks for your input. 

1 minute ago, Kibby John. said:

Thanks for your help. The trim removal looks daunting to me - even the interior trim removal, to replace light bulbs, looks a big job for a not rare event. 

Interior trim is quite easy, unbolt the handle, then 2 screws at top of main trim panel, then all the others are pop in clips. Exterior reqires unbolting the lights then the trim above the number plate has pop clips, if you look on ebay you should find a camera that will clip into that square hole above the number plate

2 hours ago, Kibby John. said:

I had thought about epoxy type adhesive but supporting the camera and mount whilst it sets will be challenging in a confined area. May have to give it a go though as adhesives and vibration  + wet and road oil/dirt seem like a recipe for failure. Thanks for your input. 

My rear Alpine camera has been fitted as per my system for nearly 4 years, so Im pretty confident that it would be difficult to remove it (if I wanted to)🙂

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ThuMentaliss said:

My rear Alpine camera has been fitted as per my system for nearly 4 years, so Im pretty confident that it would be difficult to remove it (if I wanted to)🙂

Thanks - how did you support and stabilise the camera whilst the

epoxy set?

18 hours ago, Kibby John. said:

Thanks - how did you support and stabilise the camera whilst the

epoxy set?

There are many ways, one example is to put the tailgate in the open position get yourself some modeling plastercine make a mode with it, apply to the camera body (which you have already applied bonding sealant)  carefully place the camera to its location  let the bonding agent set several hours then remove plastercine

• 2 weeks later...