Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

How to fit an awning to an Alphard camper with pop-up roof?

Hello, brand new Alphard owner here.  Picked her up on Tuesday 15th and went for a couple of nights away.  I LOVE her but...lots of questions.  I'm a fairly old bird to be doing this kind of thing and not very 'handy' but know a man that can!  I've actually bought a Drive Away Awning as I was told a rail was being fitted on my van.  It's tiny?  Certainly not the 3 mtr long ones I've seen on others.  Seems as though the doors are in the way?  I've seen on here someone mention strong magnets to attach to van?  Would anyone be good enough to talk me through it in 'normal' speak please?  She's a 2005 model if that helps?  

There is no official fitting facility on an Alphard 2005-2008 for the fitment of alloy awning rails, the 3.0 mtr ones you refer to started life as an aftermarket fitment for the VW Transporter however enthusiast's😀 who possess good DIY hand skills should be able to fit these rails utilising mastic adhesive and stainless steel set screws..... I'm about to do this to my Alphard 2005, but I am also considering the alternative of fitting a Fiamma F40 wind out awning which also has a Kador grove within the case to accommodate a Drive away Awning  but you would still have to mount the awning to the roof just as you would for the awning rail

• Like 1

Remove the black rubber strip from the top of the roof you can slide a rail  along the channel it is hard but OK.Front end takes a small curve and requres small bend downwards. Suggest fixed with screws at the rail.With CT1 SEALANT .Job done. PS You can fit the end bit of the rubber strip .

• Like 1

Thanks T.  I was almost seduced by the windup awning but trying to make her look a bit 'incognito'!  Don't have a secure enough spot to park her yet but had a tracker installed today...just in case.  Thanks for your answer, appreciate it.  

Hello, George do you have a website to which rails to buy for the awning please. I have a pop top 2003 model and wasnt sure if the magnetic ones were any good but id rather fit something more permanent.

Thansk.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 6/18/2021 at 11:05 PM, george kydd said:

Remove the black rubber strip from the top of the roof you can slide a rail  along the channel it is hard but OK.Front end takes a small curve and requres small bend downwards. Suggest fixed with screws at the rail.With CT1 SEALANT .Job done. PS You can fit the end bit of the rubber strip .

Hi George, could you tell me or send a link to which rail you used? Our converted Alphard was supposed to have had a rail fitted but it still hasn't arrived months after it should have so I'm trying to source one and fit it myself. Finding a rail that clears the sliding door is proving to be tricky.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Geoff. 

• 3 months later...

A gallery thread of members awning rails with the type they used and how they fitted it would be super handy for this forum.

I'm surprised Fiamma dont offer fitment brackets for their wind outs like they do for most other vans.

I wonder if it's worth contacting them with e-mails from every Alphy owner on the group asking for them would change their mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darren Eyles said:

Hi, I fitted mind under the pop up roof, the roof with alcohol, used a real good 2 sided tape, cut through the top of the c channel to follow the contour of the roof, job done

B75B525E-1B66-4417-B308-5535C9038511.jpeg

9C589F4D-6EBB-4D86-B9BE-DF2124C0A53A.jpeg

That looks perfect mate, is that one of the cheapish 3 part rails just joined together? No screws at all?

47 minutes ago, Darren Eyles said:

No screws, just a good strong tape and some spray alcohol 

I reckon that'll hold well as long as you're not camping in high winds and even then it'll be anchored at other points. I'd probably spring for some sikaflex if I decide to go down that route but your way seems fine. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OldWellhouse said:

I reckon that'll hold well as long as you're not camping in high winds and even then it'll be anchored at other points. I'd probably spring for some sikaflex if I decide to go down that route but your way seems fine. 

I have sika flex just incase, thought I would try this first

• Like 2

• 1 year later...