Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Help buying an Alphard

Hey all,

The Alphard has made its way to the top of my list and I'm wondering if anyone has a buyers guide or just helpful information on what to look out for, common problems etc.
Just after a stock one to get the kids in with their bikes and all the other paraphernalia that is stretching my estate car to its limits.

Cheers

Hi Diveboy, 

Have a look here. Always get them serviced, cambelt, water pump etc done before taking it. other than that its fantastic.

Most people have already done that to theirs but if you buy from a car dealer then ask questions as there are a few great and a few bad companies....

• 3 months later...

Hi I am looking to get an Alphard as well. 2 viewings and test drives this weekend near Windsor and High Wycombe.

I wonder if existing owners can help me with the queries below as I am a complete newbie to this!

- Do dealers have to provide auction/export certificates? If it is missing, is it a problem?

- How much did you pay for your road tax? Do you get any subsidy for hybrid versions at all?

- Insurance: How much did it cost you on average?

- I live in Islington Council in London. Their parking permit goes by Co2 emission. Does anyone have a model report on 2007 Alphards 2.4L engine for me to refer to for permit applications? Or to advice them on this? (https://www.islington.gov.uk/parking/parking-permits/parking-permit-costs-table)

- Would you recommend changing the speedometer and/or odometer?

- I am considering converting this Alphard to a camper at some point - any particular garage you recommend for this?

- How often should you service it and can you just bring it to any garage?

- Parts - how easy are they to find should things go wrong and can you use other Toyota equivalents?

Many thanks for all your wisdom!

- Do dealers have to provide auction/export certificates? If it is missing, is it a problem? maybe, sometimes they forge the documents. (rare occasion) However it will give a detail list of the vehicle state.

- How much did you pay for your road tax? Do you get any subsidy for hybrid versions at all? most vehicles are the same tax bracket I pay £240 ish a year for a 3L 2003 model.

- Insurance: How much did it cost you on average? for me its £400 a year but thats because i've got 5 years no claims only.

- I live in Islington Council in London. Their parking permit goes by Co2 emission. Does anyone have a model report on 2007 Alphards 2.4L engine for me to refer to for permit applications? Or to advice them on this? (https://www.islington.gov.uk/parking/parking-permits/parking-permit-costs-table) sorry can't help on that one.

- Would you recommend changing the speedometer and/or odometer? there are simple kits to change from KPH to MPH but most importers can do this for you.

- I am considering converting this Alphard to a camper at some point - any particular garage you recommend for this? there are a few. i'll leave that for someone else who's had it done.

- How often should you service it and can you just bring it to any garage? when you get it have a full service done including underseal.

- Parts - how easy are they to find should things go wrong and can you use other Toyota equivalents? You can get Toyota direct to send them or use an app called autodoc on android or ios store. you put in your vehicle model and it will show all the parts. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/6/2020 at 8:14 PM, Junglejimsvet said:

@MonsterS great replies- many thanks as I steal this information as I am about to pull the trigger on one!  3.5 2009

So did you get it? Also thinking of getting one - so worried about making the wrong decision as it has taken AGES to save up enough money to buy it. It ticks all the boxes on paper and I really want the lounge seating option.