Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Vellfire twin sunroofs drain holes blocked..

Hi, piece of information if your front sunroof ( the one that only lifts up 3/4".) Leaks slightly...

Had this happen this morning, it was closed during a heavy down pour overnight and the roof lining was slightly damp towards the front part of the sunroof aperture.

It took a couple of hours to find the best way to remove the glass sunroof and check the seals and ensure the drain holes were clear.

I discovered that these vellfires/Alphard designers are literally at the top of their game.

It would be easy to remove most of the front edge of the roof lining to find a way to remove the glass roof, remove the sunscreens, remove the interior lights and grab rails, it's not necessary !

The front edge of the roof lining that meets with the front edge of the sunroof has a velcro attachment ! Pull it gently and it will come away and reveal the 2 X 10mm nuts that holds the front edge of the glass sunroof in place.

Remove these and you can lift the glass front edge up to reveal the 2 front drain holes.

Mine had mister spider hiding in the left one, causing it to block and fill up, clear him out with a length of wire and put it all back.

Job done, took me 3 hrs, but with the above, its a 30 minute job.....

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rojie said:

Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for giving us all this tip.

What year is your Vellfire ?

2009, will post a picture soon, have also added a remote heater if any ones interested..

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

finally unblocked my sunroof drain, had to remove the drivers visor, the grab handles on roof, A pillar and B pillar, the A pillar trim, the B pillar trim, and was then able to disconnect the hose via the spring clip.

Nice sun heated water poured out, no amount of feeding in a cable could unblock it.

In the end, I attached a car tyre inflater, and carefully applied several bursts of pressure until Voila, a pool of water started to appear under the car and the drain holes in the sill were cleared.

What a pain in the arse.

• 4 months later...
On 10/20/2021 at 6:27 PM, Vellfire1 said:

2009, will post a picture soon, have also added a remote heater if any ones interested..

Can you please share the details of remote heater? Thanks

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the tip. 

Having pulled the headlining back  and before I undid the nuts I used a nylon filament  to check the drain that connects front and rear sunroofs and found the blockage was there. I will still put filament down front drains to be sure. 

• 3 months later...

As @Chris.ac mentioned, a photo would have been handy when I had a go at getting access to my blocked drains.

So, here you go and my story...

IMG_4021.thumb.jpeg.fb5ab7b8a191778fe6978ec0e8c3537a.jpeg

It was hell trying to get the left nut undone on my 2008 Alphard, it had locking glue on the thread and I suspect never removed before.  I had already got the nut off here before I thought to take some photos.

IMG_4020.thumb.jpeg.f978b6e45cb0c7f26f5e12e38b2cbb17.jpeg

However, the right nut was much easier - just a single turn was required.. and POP!

IMG_4019.thumb.jpeg.4e1ce963320100151aefa411dfbfe02e.jpeg

So, instead of this...

IMG_4022.thumb.jpeg.06dd45666129946ea169e3aabdf509e7.jpeg

The right hand side is now like this..

IMG_4023.thumb.jpeg.a27d718f5a058b22ad79c8726691a218.jpeg

And discovered it was unhelpfully not an easy replacement...

IMG_4024.thumb.jpeg.4e77dbedef8a126ab0d572584fab4c7c.jpeg

Frustrated, I retreated inside with the sunroof to investigate fixes to my screw-up...

As everybody knows, a story like this is always improved by adding the phrase "and then it rained..."

So it did exactly that. /sigh

Well, at least the drains are now unblocked.

EDIT: Any tips you may have on where to buy a replacement part would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Zathras
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Zathras said:

I took longer route, removed a and b pillar trim, removed roof grab handles, removed visors. 

Then dropped roof lining enough to disconnect the hose clips, I did mine in the baking sun, so as I tipped the hose, nice warm water poured out, I could see my wire I used to try and clear blockage via the exposed clear tube, all the way to the floor, but no amount of prodding cleared it, until I blew it through with a pump, then a nice instant puddle formed under car. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 10:19 PM, Zathras said:

As @Chris.ac mentioned, a photo would have been handy when I had a go at getting access to my blocked drains.

So, here you go and my story...

IMG_4021.thumb.jpeg.fb5ab7b8a191778fe6978ec0e8c3537a.jpeg

It was hell trying to get the left nut undone on my 2008 Alphard, it had locking glue on the thread and I suspect never removed before.  I had already got the nut off here before I thought to take some photos.

IMG_4020.thumb.jpeg.f978b6e45cb0c7f26f5e12e38b2cbb17.jpeg

However, the right nut was much easier - just a single turn was required.. and POP!

IMG_4019.thumb.jpeg.4e1ce963320100151aefa411dfbfe02e.jpeg

So, instead of this...

IMG_4022.thumb.jpeg.06dd45666129946ea169e3aabdf509e7.jpeg

The right hand side is now like this..

IMG_4023.thumb.jpeg.a27d718f5a058b22ad79c8726691a218.jpeg

And discovered it was unhelpfully not an easy replacement...

IMG_4024.thumb.jpeg.4e77dbedef8a126ab0d572584fab4c7c.jpeg

Frustrated, I retreated inside with the sunroof to investigate fixes to my screw-up...

As everybody knows, a story like this is always improved by adding the phrase "and then it rained..."

So it did exactly that. /sigh

Well, at least the drains are now unblocked.

EDIT: Any tips you may have on where to buy a replacement part would be greatly appreciated!

Drill it out, tap and counter sink, then screw a countersink cap head in.

• 6 months later...

Ihave discovered the same problem on the wifes vellfire (it started raining last night) and my first thought was could I fit my vacuum pump to end of the pipes behind the wheel arch covers (I assume thats where they are).

Will take a peek at the weekend when she not using it, unless someone knows different...