Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Rear Foglights - better integration

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 4:09 PM, Chris.ac said:

Part number  84140-42080 - common to several high end toyotas, the standard part is 84140-42070 - the wiring loom is already set up for the rear fog, even the fuse was present - I had to add the relay in the passenger side footwell.

I bought part from here:

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/8414042080

next step is to drop bumper and connect the fogs to the existing plug that is attached to the driver side rear sonar sensor

Just managed to buy this part from amazon.co.jp

You co.uk account will not work, so you will need to register a new account. It came out to about £66 with shipping to the UK, which is a little cheaper than from amayama.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Curiousgeorge said:

Just managed to buy this part from amazon.co.jp

You co.uk account will not work, so you will need to register a new account. It came out to about £66 with shipping to the UK, which is a little cheaper than from amayama.

Nice! I hadnt thought to do that, saved yourself a tenner!

This is a good tip - I will create a JP account later!

I have now fitted both sides, looks good.

The bumper removal is way less scary that I thought it was going to be, installing either side does not require you to totally remove bumper either.

I have ordered some new panel trim clips, because I butchered a few taking them out ( and the dealer had obviously broken 2 as cable ties had been used at the rear GRRRRRRR)

Is it possible to find an importer that actually corrects things like this out of pride?

Edited by Chris.ac
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 3/20/2022 at 11:35 AM, Chris.ac said:

Image of the rear fog lamp connector - it is right next to the rear drivers side sonar sensor.

Image of fog light at night on, and off (with camera light)

IMG_20220319_164326[1].jpg

IMG_20220319_214210[1].jpg

IMG_20220319_214249[1].jpg

Sorry to dig up this old thread... I've just bought the Valenti RBR-T1 lights from Japan). From your pictures the LED wiring on the back seems straight forward, but how is it wired on the dash (I plan to use a button for the moment rather than replace the stalk). Where do I tap the cable from the rear on the dash?

On 4/14/2023 at 1:43 PM, Babu said:

Sorry to dig up this old thread... I've just bought the Valenti RBR-T1 lights from Japan). From your pictures the LED wiring on the back seems straight forward, but how is it wired on the dash (I plan to use a button for the moment rather than replace the stalk). Where do I tap the cable from the rear on the dash?

Well, the official connection is via the indicator stalk, with a signal sent to dash to illuminate the symbol. 

I imagine intercepting those will work, at the fuse on drivers side and the relay in passenger side. 

I'd have to look at wiring again to familiarise myself, I just bought a stalk for about £30

On passenger side footwell, the bottom relay position (relay may not be fitted) will be the easiest. If the fuse is fitted on drivers side (mine was by default, check the fuse layout in an earlier post). 

You should be able to plug wires directly into the empty relay socket, and use the switch you fit as the 'wiper' arm of the relay. 

Screenshot_20230416_202028_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

22 hours ago, Chris.ac said:

On passenger side footwell, the bottom relay position (relay may not be fitted) will be the easiest. If the fuse is fitted on drivers side (mine was by default, check the fuse layout in an earlier post). 

You should be able to plug wires directly into the empty relay socket, and use the switch you fit as the 'wiper' arm of the relay. 

Screenshot_20230416_202028_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Thanks, I've ordered the relay and will try to fit.

• 3 months later...

Hi all;

Sorry to reopen this topic, but in my defence I only got the Alphard recently. After reading through all the comments I am left some what confused. As Chris,ac knows I bought the full repair CDrom and it has been an absolute gold mine of information. I hate the way the dealer fitted the fog light to my Alphard but I have no record of this person as I bought the vehicle from a mate. Having done weeks of research I have found that there is a Rear Fog light relay fitted in the appropriate socket in the passenger footwell, and having seen Chris's pic of rear connector I cannot understand why there is no connection via a stalk. I have replaced the ugly switch with a proper illuminated switch, but now I am looking at trying to make use of the factory fitted wiring. any pointers would be much appreciated. The picture shows butchered plug I found behind dash. Red/white, Black/white and Black wires cut by dealer I pressume

Butchered plug.jpg

Edited by atlanticcobra2023
to add photo

On 7/28/2023 at 8:23 AM, atlanticcobra2023 said:

Hi all;

Sorry to reopen this topic, but in my defence I only got the Alphard recently. After reading through all the comments I am left some what confused. As Chris,ac knows I bought the full repair CDrom and it has been an absolute gold mine of information. I hate the way the dealer fitted the fog light to my Alphard but I have no record of this person as I bought the vehicle from a mate. Having done weeks of research I have found that there is a Rear Fog light relay fitted in the appropriate socket in the passenger footwell, and having seen Chris's pic of rear connector I cannot understand why there is no connection via a stalk. I have replaced the ugly switch with a proper illuminated switch, but now I am looking at trying to make use of the factory fitted wiring. any pointers would be much appreciated. The picture shows butchered plug I found behind dash. Red/white, Black/white and Black wires cut by dealer I pressume

Butchered plug.jpg

I'm away camping at moment, but from memory, the stalk just provides a trigger signal for the rear fog to the ecu that then deals with the logic and the o/p to energise the relay. 

You could tap into the appropriate relay pin if you intend to use an aftermarket switch, that will energise the existing loom to the rear. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris.ac said:

I'm away camping at moment, but from memory, the stalk just provides a trigger signal for the rear fog to the ecu that then deals with the logic and the o/p to energise the relay. 

You could tap into the appropriate relay pin if you intend to use an aftermarket switch, that will energise the existing loom to the rear. 

Thanks Chris, enjoy your camping you luck person you speak when you get back😁

On 7/29/2023 at 12:41 PM, Chris.ac said:

Hi Chris hope your camping has gone great, Yes the relay is there and I intend to tap into it and use an after market switch which I already have. Going further on this, I was looking at the wiring diagrams posted earlier and I would just like to clarify a point. The Diagram is for MZ. the correct plug connector in mine (2005 Hybrid 2.4l) is T20 and has two connections. I can post the diagram if anyone needs

Edited by atlanticcobra2023
typo error

11 hours ago, atlanticcobra2023 said:

Hi Chris hope your camping has gone great, Yes the relay is there and I intend to tap into it and use an after market switch which I already have. Going further on this, I was looking at the wiring diagrams posted earlier and I would just like to clarify a point. The Diagram is for MZ. the correct plug connector in mine (2005 Hybrid 2.4l) is T20 and has two connections. I can post the diagram if anyone needs

Interesting. 

I only have wiring for early 10 series non hybrid,  and 20 series including hybrid, you have the missing link it seems

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hello,

I very new to this club, so please bear with me (70years young).

We recently bought a Toyota Velfire 2012 van, for what seems to be a good price.

It is in very good condition and we are going to have it professionally converted.

We have been told that it has no rear fog lights and after reading quite a bit now they need to be fitted!

I used to be an electronics engineer (TVs, Radio, VCRs), so I'm not afraid to have a go.

The problem is doing the job properly and finding the correct wires and where they are!

I have sourced the lights that fit where the reflectors are at the bottom back (I have bought them).

I have also bought the fog light switch that fits at the front, along with the other switches.

After looking at some pf the pictures, I have found the connection inside the rear bumper.

At the front there are several plugs that have been taped up, are these anything to do with the fog lights?

If they are could someone point me to the correct plug?

Thank you in advance if someone could help, I won't always reply immediately, I'm in and out quite often.

Regards John.

Hi,

I assume your van needs/has an MOT Test, if not it will not pass. I see there is much help on the different forums. I spent quite a lot of time researching the question of rear fog lights and still have a copy of the rear lights section of the MOT Testers manual[readily available on line]. If you want to have a look at the various posts, have a look at the posts on the Alphard Campers section.Remember if you are replacing the rear reflectors with fog lights you must add relectors for an MOT Test[again covered in past posts].

Hi Starider,

The van was sold with an MOT and I know it is invalid, got it at reasonable price so will sort it myself.

Yes after reading so much, I have purchased extra round reflectors to go over the pop out plastic towing eyes.

Just need to find someone in the know, as to where all the relevant plugs and sockets and wires are.

Many thanks for you time, Regards John.

I thought I posted on this one, but I don't think I did!

My late facelift AH10 has quite an interesting set up.  It has a 3rd party rocker switch (but not a terrible one) with telltale installed into one of the existing factory switch blanks down by the mirror controls etc.

What is quite nice about it is that rather than using a separate lamp/lamps on the reflector units, it illuminates the existing factory rear sidelights much brighter.  It can only be activated if the lights are on also, so behaves very much as a factory solution would.

I can't tell (haven't looked in anger) if this is done via dual fillament bulbs, or just increases the power to them but all the same it's a very tidy solution.

Stuart Spencer autos imported and did the initial prep work on the vehicle so they are always worth contacting for anyone who has an issue and lives in their area.

Hello pipsyp (that's a good name)

Thank you for messaging me, all my rear lights are LED.

I have read so many different articles on how people have sorted this problem, I now have a headache.

This is an experiment for the wife and I, will we like it or not so trying to get everything right.

Done by the book if possible, so will keep searching for the info I need.

I have taken note on the name you gave and will bear it in mind.

Many thanks for you input, much appreciated, Regards John.

• Like 1

Be careful with replacing the reflectors as you need to make sure you still have working reflectors to pass the MOT!

My Vellfire has one of the reversing lights replaced with a rear fog light, as you only need one reversing light.

Hello people I'm back again! Yes I do know about the reflectors and the MOT, I have purchased additional reflectors to suit.

Can anyone clarify on what I have been reading? I have the plug in the rear bumper, I have the fuse in place on the drivers side, if the relay is in place (I will be checking today) on the passenger side. Then just the replacement stalk on the steering wheel will give me working fog lights?

Many thanks, John.