Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Rear Foglights - better integration

Hello Chris,

Thank you for replying to my message, I have done most of the upgrade myself and are quite happy everything is fine so far.

I have done my research and followed everything I have read (mainly what you have said).

Is it correct, that its the passenger side BOTTOM relay? very hard to get past all the wires that are there.

Again thank you very much, regards John.

Hi - after some advice on a rear fog light set-up. I've read this thread but couldn't find a definitve answer so hoping someone can help.

Looking at purchasing a 10 Series 2007 Alphard - but i've noticed the rear fog light is where one of the reversing lights was - they have swapped the drivers side reverse light bulb for a red one and wired it up to a black button on the dash. Is this ok/acceptable?  (It comes with an MOT so already passed, but appreciate the next tester might not pass it ) 

Other postsers have referred to this type of set-up but I couldn't confirm if it was legit? 

Yes it’s legal to only have one reversing light and for the other one to be replaced by a fog light. There has to be a separate switch on the dash, clearly marked. My 20-series has this setup.

• Like 1

Hello Sumogogg,

That's a good name! I would concur with arthurj. I did do mine completely different, I did not like the 1 light setup.

So I used the existing wiring/parts that was there, purchased two lights that take the place of the reflectors (replace with 2 round reflectors where the tow pop outs are). 1 new relay and bobs your aunt, it all works and is legal.

Regards John.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 2:31 PM, JohnL said:

Hello Chris,

Thank you for replying to my message, I have done most of the upgrade myself and are quite happy everything is fine so far.

I have done my research and followed everything I have read (mainly what you have said).

Is it correct, that its the passenger side BOTTOM relay? very hard to get past all the wires that are there.

Again thank you very much, regards John.

Yes. 

It's the very bottom relay position

Easier to reach if you remove the kick panel on the left pillar (one small hand removable plastic nut hooks the panel on)

Edited by Chris.ac

• 3 months later...

I'm embarking on a foglight adventure with my 2009 Vellfire, many thanks to all who have contributed so far in this thread.

I've picked up some relays and checked the fuse is present, will try a round LED in the towing eye cover hole that is in my bumper already as it'll cover that up hopefully, if not I can look into the expensive Valenti options.

Liking to make life difficult for myself, I've picked up an indicator stalk from a UK Prius, a 42110 rather than 42080 which is setup for the stalk to live on the left side as is more common in UK cars these days. The connector for this is wired back to front to reflect the reversed nature of the stalk so I'm going to have to do some extreme repinning of that lead. I have seen an auction since that has a short lead connected and terminated at a second white connector - anyone who's already stripped down their steering column taken any photo's of these leads? Even better , know what the part numbers are so I can try and get hold of one and repin at my leisure rather than after I've pulled the steering wheel off!

The Wiper stalk from the Prius wasn't suitable for my Vellfire, so I'm awaiting a Auris wiper stalk to arrive, fully expecting to have to do a repin of this connector too.  Eventually I'm hoping to have working lights/wipers and rear foglight with the stalks reversed to match the Skoda I share with the wife - may reduce the wear and tear on my wiper blades! 🙂

My MoT is coming p due soon, so just incase all that repinning seems too much to achieve before that, I've bought a basic 'Toyota' copy rear fog switch to fit into a blank on the dash - already butchered that to remove the latching mechanism so it's now a momentary switch like to factory stalk ones, and I can splice in just the two wires needed to trip the relay.

No idea when I'll get peace enough to pull the car apart to do this, but hopefully soon - will update if I get any progress!

On 8/13/2024 at 10:29 AM, arcascomp said:

I'm hoping to have working lights/wipers and rear foglight with the stalks reversed to match the Skoda I share with the wife - may reduce the wear and tear on my wiper blades! 

🙂

Look for Russian spec series 20.

The wipers and light stalks are reversed.

Model code is ggh20L or anh20L instead of ggh20W.

Check out my earlier post here. 

https://uk.alphardclub.com/forums/topic/7033-swap-indicator-and-wiper-stalks/#comment-20446

That chat is what inspired me Chris! Having pulled apart an indicator stalk I can see that the main connection block is directly linked to the mechanical wipers within the stalk, such that to retain the wiring routing below the steering wheel Toyota had to reverse the pin outs when the stalk was moved to the other side of the steering wheel.

Therefore knowing a) from the above, I would have to repin the connector and b) that Toyota reuse components on many vehicles I started fishing about in the parts supply companies to try and find vehicles that share the same stalks as the Russian GGH20L etc. I now have one UK Lexus IS220 stalk set that definitely has what seems to be the right lighting stalk, but I failed to check the wiper side out properly. An IS 220 doesn't have a rear wiper, so I have added an Auris Wiper stalk to my set. The clockspring etc. in the middle will also cause some issues I have no doubt to make sure I have the right wiring in place and proper indicator cancellation by the steering wheel rotation. 

If I get it all to work properly I will happily share the process for others. In the meantime I have to get the rear foglight working before the MoT which is due end of next month, so initially I think I'll just find the trigger wire and route it via a monetary switch placed into an existing dash blank.

Started having a look at the car today, managed to remove the steering wheel to access the wiring to the stalks, but I've realised I need better a depinning tool, so waiting on that to arrive. Swapping the stalks will be quite the job so I think I'll try just extending the rear fog wiring to a temp switch for now to get through the MOT. 

I also tried to access the wire connector under the rear bumper, but wasn't sure how the clips holding the plastic part in my way came off. Anyone able to advise on that? Would rather not snap something by being clumsy! Photos of the two clip types attached below.

PXL_20240824_153156356.jpg

PXL_20240824_153217813.MP.jpg

Leave that big plastic screw, that is for the wind baffle.

Easiest option is to drop entire bumper.

The plastic clips are quite brittle, you can buy a box of replacements on Amazon or eBay for under £10, i got assorted toyota set and replaced ones in engine bay, front trims etc at the same time. 

A screw and a bolt on the wheel trim, about 8 plastic clips running around lower edge of bumper, and 4 bolts visible when you open boot. 

Start to pull bumper from wheel arch, the are plastic lugs that i found easy to disengage using a trim tool. 

Entire bumper will have a single loom connector, and you will find the fog light connector near the drivers side reversing sensor

1 hour ago, Chris.ac said:

Leave that big plastic screw, that is for the wind baffle.

Easiest option is to drop entire bumper.

The plastic clips are quite brittle, you can buy a box of replacements on Amazon or eBay for under £10, i got assorted toyota set and replaced ones in engine bay, front trims etc at the same time. 

A screw and a bolt on the wheel trim, about 8 plastic clips running around lower edge of bumper, and 4 bolts visible when you open boot. 

Start to pull bumper from wheel arch, the are plastic lugs that i found easy to disengage using a trim tool. 

Entire bumper will have a single loom connector, and you will find the fog light connector near the drivers side reversing sensor

Cheers for that Chris, I was assuming the one wind baller would be easier to remove than the whole bumper. I'm working on the car parked in the street and was worried I'd drop and damage the whole bumper.

I'll get a set of those clips ordered up and put on my big girl pants and get that rear bumper off!

1 hour ago, arcascomp said:

Cheers for that Chris, I was assuming the one wind baller would be easier to remove than the whole bumper. I'm working on the car parked in the street and was worried I'd drop and damage the whole bumper.

I'll get a set of those clips ordered up and put on my big girl pants and get that rear bumper off!

I actually tried that route myself, you only have a couple of inches of space to try and undo the screw holding the reflector. 

On mine, the screw head just rounded off, as it had some corrosion, i couldn't get enough of an angle. 

Your may have better luck.

I'm putting a round led light where the towing eye cover should be as mine has always been missing one in the driver's side anyway, so the reflector is allowed to stay for now. Having seen the quality of the wee round led light though I expect I'll be getting the expensive Japanese reflector replacements before next year!

Another thought - I haven't obviously taken the bumper off yet, I bought a connector, but having concerns that a) it might be the wrong one and b) not sure which part of the connector I need to fit onto the new light! The connector I bought is this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225787446786

Would be nice to wire that up in the comfort of the shed while I'm 'listening' to meetings at work 😀

7 hours ago, arcascomp said:

Another thought - I haven't obviously taken the bumper off yet, I bought a connector, but having concerns that a) it might be the wrong one and b) not sure which part of the connector I need to fit onto the new light! The connector I bought is this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225787446786

Would be nice to wire that up in the comfort of the shed while I'm 'listening' to meetings at work 😀

Looks like the following. 

If did have the both parts of the connector present on mine, with the unused half having blanking rubbers in the holes, so you could just add the pins from that kit to the existing socket 

Screenshot_20240828-161955.png

@Chris.ac You are a total legend! Fog light in, working on original loom with tell tale light in dash being illuminated. Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it. 

For anyone else looking to do this it's not that hard and you can do it without removing the steering wheel if you're not changing the stalks. 

All that needs removing is the cowl behind the wheel so you can get access to the lighting wiring. This needs two clips releasing that you can see once the steering wheel is rotated out of the way. Then use a trim tool to pop the two sections and drop the lower part out off the way. 

The lighting stalk connector has two rows of wiring, the lower row is nearly fully populated, the upper has three wires only. The rear fog one is the blue wire in that upper row nearest the steering column.PXL_20240829_193026516_MP.thumb.jpg.b21048d91e269abc8a04ec599623733c.jpg

In the picture I've already depinned that blue wire and run a lead from it to a Toyota rear fog switch fitted to one of the blanks. The other side of that switch needs to be connected to earth. I dismantled the switch to disable the latching mechanism so it became a momentary switch like the factory stalk. 

PXL_20240829_193041560_MP.thumb.jpg.e8ce0e144dcf07185f9a22e6fc2f0153.jpg

Not sure why I chose that particular blank! With a relay fitted in the passenger footwell and the lights and front foglight turned on, pressing this switch makes the relay click and the tell tale light illuminated on the dash. 

Final step was to access the connector behind the rear bumper. Listen to what Chris said above, it's so, so much easier to remove the bumper than it seems and taking off the wind baffle is indeed no good for access. The connector fitted has the female side plugged in for you already, all you need to add is the correct pins. I forgot to photo the actual plug but it was different from the one I bought in eBay but the pins were exactly what was needed. 

PXL_20240829_185828149_MP.thumb.jpg.6036040bcd6185d9daa59ab1255104d2.jpg

For now, to get an MOT sorted I've fitted a round smoked LED light where the towing eye cover should be as that was missing anyway. I don't think the light will last too long, but I might get a winter if I'm lucky. I'll get the proper ones from Japan next time. 

PXL_20240829_192627745_MP.thumb.jpg.31be9fd442a659eea0bfbc56945d082a.jpg

Doesn't look terrible, but not the nicest. 

PXL_20240829_192543237_MP.thumb.jpg.3acfc6c14e62dc60833b26e457722ff9.jpg

But it does light up! 

So thanks again to everyone, especially Chris.ac.

Edited by arcascomp

Good job, and thanks for the instructions for accessing the pins on the steering wheel connector, for those not changing stalk.

On my reflector lights, there is a dim setting, which i keep meaning to connect to my front driving leds, so that i always have illumination up to the point the auto headlights kick in.

At least your fog is visible, the one the dealer fitted to mine was the size of the reverse sensor, and was drilled through my reflector to attach.

It was literally a single led that provided as much illumination as the switch on the dash. I couldn't wait to tear it out.

I was going to go with LEDs in the towing covers, too, originally.