Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

I recently bought a Toyota Alphard 2007 model  55 000 km on the clock as a family travelling vehicle, we planned a long trip on holiday and unfortunately broke down 6hrs into our trip stranded with the gearbox fail.

The vehicle just lost power and gears completely ( we were travelling about 80km/h at the time), warning lights came on on the dash the worst being a pic of a vehicle with an exclamation mark in the center (RED) . I pulled over safely and that was the end of our trip, I had to get the vehicle recovered and sent to a Toyota service center, has anyone experienced this and does this mean I have to replace the gear box?

Has anyone experience this? I love the vehicle but quite disappointed in what happened I am still waiting for the report from the service center.

Regards,

Adrian

clutch engaging failure i would think looking into it that the cable is disconnected or came unplugged. find the wires on the gearbox if you can get under the van and have a look it may save you £££ instead of taking to a garage. I would then take plugs off the gearbox and clean them then put them back on.

Follow those wires to where they connect to the van and clean the contacts. then clear all the error codes using the diagnostic equipment. (or disconnect the battery for 2 hours)..

Hey Alex,

Just got a call from the workshop the dreaded bad news that I have to replace the gearbox on my vehicle and possibly the hybrid batteries I sent Ben a message to see if he can help source the gearbox.

What bad luck I have had with this vehicle no one will ever know, thanks for all your help. I will keep you posted if I'm able to get this vehicle back on the road.

Regards,

Adrian

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/24/2019 at 11:42 AM, Adrian Robinson said:

Hey Alex,

Just got a call from the workshop the dreaded bad news that I have to replace the gearbox on my vehicle and possibly the hybrid batteries I sent Ben a message to see if he can help source the gearbox.

What bad luck I have had with this vehicle no one will ever know, thanks for all your help. I will keep you posted if I'm able to get this vehicle back on the road.

Regards,

Adrian

Greetings everyone, just an update on my vehicle..... I got a replacement gearbox and the vehicle has been running fine..... recently when travelling at a speed of 60km/h I get a vibration when accelerating from the front of the vehicles this happens every time I accelerate. I thought is was something to do with the suspension so when one to do the front suspension, shocks (back & front) and put new tyres as this is what most mechanics said would be where to start. However this did not solve the problem I am having, now I'm being told it could be something that's worn between the engine and gearbox...… This vehicle has given me endless problems …. Anyone with advice????

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

What happened with the fault in 2021, Adrian? Am asking as my engine is currently dead with a P3120 error, and o am in discussion with the garage as to whether there is anything else to check before they charge me £thousands for rellcing the gearbox.

14 hours ago, Justin Uttley said:

What happened with the fault in 2021, Adrian? Am asking as my engine is currently dead with a P3120 error, and o am in discussion with the garage as to whether there is anything else to check before they charge me £thousands for rellcing the gearbox.

Hello Justin,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please update your profile so readers will know which machine you have !

Model and location would be helpful.

14 hours ago, Justin Uttley said:

Is there a sub code to go with P3120? This will give a more specific area to investigate. i.e. the original fault on this thread had a code of P3220-541. It was the 541 that nails the problem to a particular fault. If you get the full code then a quick Google of it will probably give you an idea where the fault lies. You may well get loads of results for the gen1 Prius, but the tech is broadly the same.