Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Head unit

3 hours ago, Liz Coles said:

I am buying a 2006 2.4 hybrid. I need the head unit changed and possibly Apple Play.  Anyone near Bristol do this?  Recommendations please.

Hello Liz,

Welcome to the Forum.

Ben Hau, Birmingham, will upgrade your current unit. Search on here for him.

Whomever you use, ensure you get confirmation you won't lose cameras and steering wheel functions (if they matter to you) before you have the work done.

Not all implementations retain these useful features.

Lots to read on here. search for Head Unit or Radio replacement.

Good luck

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 7:39 PM, Liz Coles said:

I am buying a 2006 2.4 hybrid. I need the head unit changed and possibly Apple Play.  Anyone near Bristol do this?  Recommendations please.

You will also be limited for choice if you have the 18 speaker Theatre Sound.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi all:

I bought a 2.4 2005 Hybrid recently. in excellent condition, It had hybrid battery replaced last year.

I have been searching for an after market head unit upgrade. I am not bothered about losing the DVD PLAYER, FRONT AND SIDE CAMERAS.

My concern is there does not seem to be a unit available that has the Hybrid status screen "you know the one I mean" mesmerising distracting wheels 

turning power flows. TBH I am not bothered about that either, I am just concerned if not having that will the Hybrid system be effected.

anyone with the knowledge to reassure me would get my deepest appreciation :) 

On 3/15/2023 at 8:59 AM, atlanticcobra2023 said:

Hi all:

I bought a 2.4 2005 Hybrid recently. in excellent condition, It had hybrid battery replaced last year.

I have been searching for an after market head unit upgrade. I am not bothered about losing the DVD PLAYER, FRONT AND SIDE CAMERAS.

My concern is there does not seem to be a unit available that has the Hybrid status screen "you know the one I mean" mesmerising distracting wheels 

turning power flows. TBH I am not bothered about that either, I am just concerned if not having that will the Hybrid system be effected.

I don't imagine there's a replacement with such a display but prepared to be proved wrong. Most likely the display will just be animation based on the states of some CAN signals that are monitored. I guess the key question is whether you control the hybrid system in any way through the head unit? If not, my hunch is that you're free to change it.

You could always remove the existing unit before investing in a new one and go for a test drive. If it feels like it drives normally then, again, you should be good to go.

Hi Geralt:

I am about to do a trial run, I have connected the new unit and I want to see what happens. The unit has been temporally installed for a couple of days to test any effects on basic electrics (any power drain etc) so far no issues. I can fit a USB OBD to test for any issues later. I will post how I get on. thanks for your input :)

Test run done, all good, Now I have to wire the speakers up, do the reversing camera etc. After Market head unit looks good with plenty of apps.

Spoke to Ben who is mentioned in this subject earlier, he give me some advice so would like to say thanks to him on here.

I will post again when speakers etc done. :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2023 at 4:43 PM, Babu said:

You don't need a filter you need this adapter which lets you use all 18 speakers https://incartec.co.uk/product/Toyota-Alphard-AH20-2008-2015-with-OEM-NAV-amplifier-bypass-cable-20-323

Thanks. I know it was something like that but when I bought it from Ben it was a filter box + cables.

• 1 month later...

1) I have heard that the later model year head units have full bluetooth / music over bluetooth capability, can anyone confirm?

2) Is it possible to simply swap in a 2007/2008 model year head unit into a 2003 alphard model year?

On 4/11/2023 at 9:20 AM, MonsterS said:

Thanks. I know it was something like that but when I bought it from Ben it was a filter box + cables.

That Adapter is for the AH20, Mine is AH10 and hybrid. and has different connectors than those will fit

15 hours ago, MarkATH10W said:

1) I have heard that the later model year head units have full bluetooth / music over bluetooth capability, can anyone confirm?

2) Is it possible to simply swap in a 2007/2008 model year head unit into a 2003 alphard model year?

Hi Mark:

from my experience there are several head units across the range of these vehicles and there are differences in wiring too, Mine is also a 2005 hybrid with full theatre system.

although the majority of the head unit connectors are common with other head units some are totally different. I would suggest checking what connectors are on the back of yours before purchasing an head unit that may or may not plug seamlessly into your vehicle. This is only a suggestion and not gospel

15 hours ago, atlanticcobra2023 said:

Hi Mark:

from my experience there are several head units across the range of these vehicles and there are differences in wiring too, Mine is also a 2005 hybrid with full theatre system.

although the majority of the head unit connectors are common with other head units some are totally different. I would suggest checking what connectors are on the back of yours before purchasing an head unit that may or may not plug seamlessly into your vehicle. This is only a suggestion and not gospel

Thanks Info.  I may just not go this route as I do not have the time to research.  Bluetooth audio is the goal.  Bluetooth to radio option doesn't work for me; quality is noticably worse.  I have invested in an bluetooth to RCA Component box that automatically turns on and pairs with power and i hope that will work seamlessly with normal usage of my van, it is the 1Mii B06 Plus Bluetooth Receiver, HiFi Wireless Audio Adapter, Bluetooth 5.1 Receiver

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, MarkATH10W said:

Thanks Info.  I may just not go this route as I do not have the time to research.  Bluetooth audio is the goal.  Bluetooth to radio option doesn't work for me; quality is noticably worse.  I have invested in an bluetooth to RCA Component box that automatically turns on and pairs with power and i hope that will work seamlessly with normal usage of my van, it is the 1Mii B06 Plus Bluetooth Receiver, HiFi Wireless Audio Adapter, Bluetooth 5.1 Receiver

I am not familiar with that product so I cant really give any opinions on it, be interesting to know if it works so please let me know how you get on.

On 5/24/2023 at 8:52 PM, atlanticcobra2023 said:

I am not familiar with that product so I cant really give any opinions on it, be interesting to know if it works so please let me know how you get on.

Just got it and tested and it works great, better than expect. 

1) It works seemlessly everytime I turn on my vehicle and auto connects; i don't need to do anything to start or shut down 

2) Sound quality is honestly amazing, on your phone's bluetooth profile for the device you can even turn on the LDAC /  atpX HD setting for higher bitrate / sound quality... so make sure you do this.  normal audio bluetooth sounds flat compared to this, and honestly blows the bluetooth to radio option out of the water, especially when the volume must be cranked up on the bluetooth to radio option...  Im really happy with this device and my theather sound system on my alphard.

5 hours ago, MarkATH10W said:

Just got it and tested and it works great, better than expect. 

1) It works seemlessly everytime I turn on my vehicle and auto connects; i don't need to do anything to start or shut down 

2) Sound quality is honestly amazing, on your phone's bluetooth profile for the device you can even turn on the LDAC /  atpX HD setting for higher bitrate / sound quality... so make sure you do this.  normal audio bluetooth sounds flat compared to this, and honestly blows the bluetooth to radio option out of the water, especially when the volume must be cranked up on the bluetooth to radio option...  Im really happy with this device and my theather sound system on my alphard.

Great!!!! I am glad you got sorted, I changed my head unit to a Android one and its Fantastic also

• 2 months later...
On 3/15/2023 at 8:59 AM, atlanticcobra2023 said:

Hi all:

Did you ever get the hybrid screens you mentioned? Did it make any difference if you don't see them?

Just now, atlanticcobra2023 said:
14 minutes ago, pjpern said:

Did you ever get the hybrid screens you mentioned? Did it make any difference if you don't see them?

No Philip I didn't get them, but to be honest its doesn't make any difference to performance of the vehicle. I have diagnostics kit that can give me state of health of Hybrid system and the Hybrid Fault light on the dash will inform me if it goes faulty. Changed head unit got rear camera(added new camera for better video quality) and I can add a front one if I want as the head has the capability for that. Got steering wheel controls too so well happy

• Like 1