Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Insurance Companies for Your Toyota Alphard

I've used AXA via Advance Insurance the last few years, but this year I managed to get it cheaper with Churchill. I queried over the phone whether they insure grey imports, but the customer service person said that it doesn't matter as long as the car is on the list, which it is (obviously its impossible to buy an Alphard that has not been imported). First time I've got below £600, which I am happy with as I still have an 'at fault' claim on my record from another vehicle.

• 2 months later...

Greetings in 2023.

Just had to renew the insurance for the vellfire 2.4.

Had been with Admiral without claim - premium went up from £255 to £495 😂😂.

Told them to increase it to £695 as I've gotta "loads a money".🤥

Anyway called Adrian Flux and got it for £300 with + named driver.

Spoke with a young lady called Levi, she was brilliant and had plenty of time to answer all my queries...

She was exceptional....

Suggest you ask for her as nothing was too much trouble for her to get this best price.

Cheers...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All

I've just renewed the insurance for our 2008 2.4 Alphard camper van with Lifesure. New premium is £323.19. This includes a full motor home package, legal expenses and NCD protection and one named driver as well as myself. Last year it was £365.48. I renewed it practically painlessly on line.

I got some other quotes. Caravan and Motorhome Club was £438.26! ClubCare, the insurance for the Camping and Caravan Club, was £337.27. Tried LV direct on line, but they would not insure the vehicle.

• 2 months later...
On 8/7/2019 at 1:04 PM, MonsterS said:

Mark Richards Insurance

then road tax is around 210

Currently waiting for my Alphard to go through DVLA registration, Mark Richards would not quote me because of my age(72!), Adrian Flux quoted £380 without any extras. Hoping car is ready by May. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening all,

This is our first post, we are in the process of purchasing a Vellfire 2.4L day camper and as part of the insurance quotation the brokers have requested the vehicle has a tracker and immobiliser fitted  …is this a common request as it has been implied that this is a requirement from most insurers?

Any insight would be appreciated as the pool of insures appears limited for Japanese imports of this type converted to a camper.

Any feedback gratefully received.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hard Lightning said:

Good evening all,

This is our first post, we are in the process of purchasing a Vellfire 2.4L day camper and as part of the insurance quotation the brokers have requested the vehicle has a tracker and immobiliser fitted  …is this a common request as it has been implied that this is a requirement from most insurers?

Any insight would be appreciated as the pool of insures appears limited for Japanese imports of this type converted to a camper.

Any feedback gratefully received.

Hello Stephen,

Welcome to the Forum.

No it isn't normal for insurers to insist on a tracker.

I think most Alphies/Vellfires have immobilisers fitted as standard; mine certainly does.

Getting Insurance can be hit and miss but this thread has loads of feedback.

Getting insurance for converted vans is more tricky; some insurers won't touch them.

Lots of reading for you to do !

Good Luck.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I went with JustKampers, basically I think they are underwritten by a number of insurers and who you end up with is rather pot luck depending on the vehicle and driving history.

I suspect (well almost certain) they are an offshoot of Adrian Flux behind the scenes, which I'm not overly keen about (I've not had a good experience with them in the past, after they tried to get me to insure a slightly modified Mini convertible for more than the car was worth) but the price seemed right etc.

Wanted to know alot of details such as driving licence details, also insisted on taking the vehicle mileage as part of the limited mileage of the policy but all fairly standard I guess (also being a JDM import that's been converted as a campervan they deem that fairly high risk).

Time will tell but so far they've been amenable!

• Like 1

Insured our 2006 2.4 petrol with full camper conversion done professionally with Comfort Insurance, it's Aviva undewriting it though. Fully comp, 0% no claims (don't ask) for me and the better half, 500 quid. Due for renewal in July so will shop about but we went with Comfort last year because when I tried a few of the bigger companies, no-one wanted to touch it! I'll try Aviva direct at renewal time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Iffy Boatrace said:

Insured our 2006 2.4 petrol with full camper conversion done professionally with Comfort Insurance, it's Aviva underwriting it though. Fully comp, 0% no claims (don't ask) for me and the better half, 500 quid. Due for renewal in July so will shop about but we went with Comfort last year because when I tried a few of the bigger companies, no-one wanted to touch it! I'll try Aviva direct at renewal time.

Aviva covered my Alphie, until it was converted; they didn't cancel but told me to find someone else !

Very strange that Aviva underwrite Comfort Insurance.

But then, the market is changing constantly.

• Like 1

Just insured my 2004 3.0 with Aviva zero. Quoted £253 fully comp with £250 voluntary excess which I thought was very reasonable, but I knocked the excess down to zero and added on legal cover, protected no claims and a hire car, came out at £330 which still isn't too bad. £30 Amazon voucher from Groupon and £20 Halfords voucher from confused.com into the process.

Admiral were about the same but they wanted me to tie it into my home insurance and have the same renewal date, no thanks.

Swinton wanted £851!! 

2 hours ago, charlaph said:

Just insured my 2004 3.0 with Aviva zero. Quoted £253 fully comp with £250 voluntary excess which I thought was very reasonable, but I knocked the excess down to zero and added on legal cover, protected no claims and a hire car, came out at £330 which still isn't too bad. £30 Amazon voucher from Groupon and £20 Halfords voucher from confused.com into the process.

Admiral were about the same but they wanted me to tie it into my home insurance and have the same renewal date, no thanks.

Swinton wanted £851!! 

Interesting. I have two vehicles already with Aviva; I need to try them again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It is unbelievably hard finding competitive insurance, prices are hiked in the order of 20-25% - I will drive about 5000 miles this year and insurers want about £600.

Wifey will drive over 20K miles in her car for about £200.

Rip off Britain at it's finest..

• Like 1

I Insure my Alphard  trough my wife ( as already have main car via myself ). She has 5 years protected no claims and is currently insured with Admiral  until Aug (waiting renewal notice). Last year her  premium was £367.   - went on the other day comparison  site. Hasting direct essentials. Quoted. £ 383  - try.  Them and 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An eye-watering £890 this year from Advance for my 20 series hybrid. This was literally the only quote I could get and it took Advance 2 days to find an insurer to do it. Annoyingly this model is not on anyone’s system, so many won’t touch it, and the company that covered mine last year has stopped covering imports.

• Sad 1

I have found Safeguard to be good for insurance. Three years in a row, and they don't increase the premiums on renewal. I am paying £400 for an Alphard campervan, 2007. I am 58 years young. Also you can talk to them on the phone and get through in minutes. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

im in the process of purchasing a 2012 alphard X 2.4 petrol.

i live in east london and have been quoted £2500-£3500 for insurance!

is this normal?

ive tried adrian flux, elephant, mark richards, advance and direct line so far.

5 minutes ago, Shx82 said:

Hello everyone,

im in the process of purchasing a 2012 alphard X 2.4 petrol.

i live in east london and have been quoted £2500-£3500 for insurance!

is this normal?

ive tried adrian flux, elephant, mark richards, advance and direct line so far.

No it isn't !

400 is much nearer the mark, maybe a little more as the vehicle is relatively young.

It depends, of course, on your driving history, claims history, and where the vehicle is parked.

There is a list in this thread.

On line quotes often do not work for an Alphard; so much more phoning to do.

Good Luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s High even for London - my wife has 5 years no claims bonus (protected) and fully comp - £457 from Admiral. Must admit insurance has gone  up , last year with same company was only £307  - 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2023 at 2:28 PM, Chad said:

That’s High even for London - my wife has 5 years no claims bonus (protected) and fully comp - £457 from Admiral. Must admit insurance has gone  up , last year with same company was only £307  - 

Insurance is increasing, but be aware that many companies 'low bid' the first year to encourage you to switch to them.

Not for my Alphard, but I recently received a renewal notice for another vehicle.

The notice politely explained that the market had risen about 20%

So I phoned to ask why they were proposing an increase of over 35% !

So I changed insurers and saved myself 66% (of the new proposal).

If these companies want to play these games, so will I.

• 4 weeks later...

Just had my renewal notice  from Direct line for 2.4 2011 Alphard, its gone up 57% from last year ond i only did 1300 miles and no changes!

Trying to swap to another but the comparison sites dont recognise Alphards past 2010 only vellfires.

Moneysupermarket said contact your prefered choice and they can ammend which i tried for them to say we cant insure an Alphard but can a vellfire as its not in the dropdown!

Would  calling an Alphard a vellfire invalidate insurance?  as it is the only option available.

All insurance is subjective and every drivers details and circumstances are different. Personally I've used Lifesure with no problems both for my converted Alphard or for the Mazda bongo I had before it . I've always found their price very competitive too 

1 hour ago, ALSALPHARD said:

Just had my renewal notice  from Direct line for 2.4 2011 Alphard, its gone up 57% from last year ond i only did 1300 miles and no changes!

Trying to swap to another but the comparison sites dont recognise Alphards past 2010 only vellfires.

Moneysupermarket said contact your prefered choice and they can ammend which i tried for them to say we cant insure an Alphard but can a vellfire as its not in the dropdown!

Would  calling an Alphard a vellfire invalidate insurance?  as it is the only option available.

I think "calling" an Alphard a Vellfire could be rather tricky; even though they are almost the same vehicle.

It could be seen as misrepresentation, or even fraud.

Surely not worth the gamble with any Insurance Company.

Shop around, say goodbye to Direct Line; there are many companies that will insure Alphards.

As you say, dropdowns can be useless; use the phone.

Good Luck.

Been with direct line 2 years 1st year £400 2nd year £520 just had my renewal £980.00 massive jump been shoping around tried most of the list of insurance company's listed on here they all quoting me more than direct line I have no claims or convictions full ncd they playing postcode lottery