Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Emissions class

I have a 2.4l Alphard Hybrid. Does anyone now whether it conforms with Euro 4 emissions standard. Toyota claims it qualifies as an ultra-low emissions vehicle but I have so far been unable to find out what that means in terms of actual emissions. Basically is it exempt from the London ULEZ charge? Can anyone help please? John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/14/2019 at 5:54 PM, John Casey said:

I have a 2.4l Alphard Hybrid. Does anyone now whether it conforms with Euro 4 emissions standard. Toyota claims it qualifies as an ultra-low emissions vehicle but I have so far been unable to find out what that means in terms of actual emissions. Basically is it exempt from the London ULEZ charge? Can anyone help please? John

I have a 2004 Alphard Hybrid, and live in London, so very interested in the answer to this. The problem with the reg check is that this goes on age, so it comes up with “will have to pay”. I have had a correspondence with tfl who say if I can get evidence from the manufacturer that it complies that would be enough, but Toyota UK say that Japan does not record the emission levels.

So, anyone any further experience / ideas?
Trefor

• 2 months later...

Hi!

Plz forgive my english

I'm here for the same reason.

I discovered of the existence of the the alphard only in november and the hybrid version looked a gateway from the drive bans, without having to make debts for a T5 diesel euro6 or the super rare vr6. So I'd like to get one, I'm ok with the wheel on the right side.

But I called a nice seller who is proposing an alphard I like (very good conditions and nice colors) and he told me that the V section of the logbook is empty.

This happens because in UK the vehicles that are imported and that are older than 10 years get only a MOT to check if they are roadworthy, and not a real "approval", and there are no valid technical data from japan (like no emission data).

So I was wondering, in the new ULEZ rules (https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone , https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/cars?intcpm=52215 and https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/ulez-expansion) they expressed the EuroX emission standards the cars have to respect, so if the alphard is not compliant, how can it be allowed? I ask you because these type of laws are written almost the same in  europe so maybe there is something I don't see and that is valid everywhere.

Above all, I see many Jap vans ADs that affirm the ULEZ compliance of such vans, even if they are not hybrid, in fact I saw a black alphard advertised as ULEZ compliant and also some Elgrand v6, that are not hybrid. Given that, I think that  if it's not the vehicle to have the right characteristics (since no EuroX emission norm is mentioned on the papers), there must be a loophole that I have not seen so far, and if the UK has such loophole, probably other countries have it too (they are all laws written in by the EUROcrats); so here I am.

Also, I'm very impressed about these JAP vans, the way how you can get so much for so little money, so I really would like get one for myself if I'm allowed to drive it. TBH I would not like to go back to eurovans, so expensive and without amenities like the double front cameras and an automatic gearbox (CVT) as standard equipment.

Anybody knows more?

Thank you in advance

Edited by GAS

• 2 months later...
On 12/29/2020 at 3:26 PM, GAS said:

Hi!

Plz forgive my english

I'm here for the same reason.

I discovered of the existence of the the alphard only in november and the hybrid version looked a gateway from the drive bans, without having to make debts for a T5 diesel euro6 or the super rare vr6. So I'd like to get one, I'm ok with the wheel on the right side.

But I called a nice seller who is proposing an alphard I like (very good conditions and nice colors) and he told me that the V section of the logbook is empty.

This happens because in UK the vehicles that are imported and that are older than 10 years get only a MOT to check if they are roadworthy, and not a real "approval", and there are no valid technical data from japan (like no emission data).

So I was wondering, in the new ULEZ rules (https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone , https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/cars?intcpm=52215 and https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/ulez-expansion) they expressed the EuroX emission standards the cars have to respect, so if the alphard is not compliant, how can it be allowed? I ask you because these type of laws are written almost the same in  europe so maybe there is something I don't see and that is valid everywhere.

Above all, I see many Jap vans ADs that affirm the ULEZ compliance of such vans, even if they are not hybrid, in fact I saw a black alphard advertised as ULEZ compliant and also some Elgrand v6, that are not hybrid. Given that, I think that  if it's not the vehicle to have the right characteristics (since no EuroX emission norm is mentioned on the papers), there must be a loophole that I have not seen so far, and if the UK has such loophole, probably other countries have it too (they are all laws written in by the EUROcrats); so here I am.

Also, I'm very impressed about these JAP vans, the way how you can get so much for so little money, so I really would like get one for myself if I'm allowed to drive it. TBH I would not like to go back to eurovans, so expensive and without amenities like the double front cameras and an automatic gearbox (CVT) as standard equipment.

Anybody knows more?

Thank you in advance

I am also very interested in this question.

Are the Alphard hybrids ULEZ compliant?

Has anyone gone through process with tfl and can they share their experience?

Thanks 👍

Joe

I have had an exchange with TfL, the RAC and two refit organisations. The bottom line is if it is pre-2006 there is no chance (whether it is an import, a hybrid or anything else). It is the age, and not whether it is a hybrid that counts. So not good news for those of us with great older hybrids! 

• Thanks 1

Here is some info, this should do the trick. 

Hybrid pre 2005

The Alphard Hybrid qualifies as an Ultra-Low Emissions Vehicle (ULEV), achieving levels 75 per cent below the Japanese government’s 2000 benchmark. The 2.4-litre petrol engine has been developed specifically for use in hybrid systems and features a high-expansion ratio cycle that raises efficiency and reduces friction.

https://media.toyota.co.uk/2003/07/toyota-launches-its-sixth-hybrid-power-vehicle/

All models facelift from 04.2005 onwards

In addition, vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (Alphard G / Alphard V) have a "2005 standard exhaust gas 75% reduction level" under the low emission vehicle certification system of the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism by purifying the exhaust gas. Achieved "2010 fuel efficiency standard + 5%" (fuel efficiency target standard set based on the Energy Conservation Law) (vehicles subject to tax reduction measures under the green tax system), further improving environmental performance.

https://global.toyota/jp/newsroom/toyota/21788986.html?_ga=2.218613017.1288158834.1610706832-735599615.1609751502

Japanese emission benchmark:  https://www.transportpolicy.net/standard/japan-light-duty-emissions/

You need to calculate 75% from the data in benchmark table to get your results and compare it to EURO standards. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Trefor L said:

Nov, this is very interesting, although you don’t say if TfL have accepted this as evidence for your 2005 Alphard.

regards,

Trefor

Haven't tried to deal with TFL yet. If I had to deal with them, I would start from updating my logbook with all the details first as currently most of the sections are blanks (including emission section) and then with everything go to TFL.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, ive just come across this thread after getting a surprising letter from TFL saying we are liable to pay the ULEZ charge for London on our Alphard hybrid (2006, 2.4l). I was wondering if anyone in this group has managed to engage with TFL successfully on this? Cheers. Conrad

On 8/11/2021 at 5:25 AM, RichC said:

Does anyone know if a 2006 3 litre Alphard complies with ULEZ requirements?

No, it almost certainly does not. Mine doesn't.

Check your registration number on the TfL website.

• 4 months later...

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? I have read on other older threads from 2019 and 2020 that TFL base it on age so anything reg’d after Jan 2006 where no emissions data is available is assumed to be Euro4 but I’ve no experience of this. It seems impossible to get a Certificate of Conformity from Toyota Japan so that’s not an option. Can the emissions test from the MOT be used as proof does anyone know?

Despite what I wrote earlier in this thread; I have just entered my registration number into the TfL checker.

Not surprisingly I am liable for the Congestion Charge.

What I am surprised about is that that is the only charge I am liable for.

So, no ULEZ charge for me, yippee.

I had previously been advised by a Midlands dealer that he drives his Alphard in and out London frequently and does not need to pay ULEZ.

So, has TfL updated its database since August; or did I just misread / misunderstand the website on a previous visit ?

Just now, Rojie said:

Despite what I wrote earlier in this thread; I have just entered my registration number into the TfL checker.

Not surprisingly I am liable for the Congestion Charge.

What I am surprised about is that that is the only charge I am liable for.

So, no ULEZ charge for me, yippee.

I had previously been advised by a Midlands dealer that he drives his Alphard in and out London frequently and does not need to pay ULEZ.

So, has TfL updated its database since August; or did I just misread / misunderstand the website on a previous visit ?

Sorry, ps, my Alphie was first registered (in the UK) in 2021; if that makes a difference.

I posted to this thread in October 20, and while 2006 seems to be fixed in stone, TfL also raised concerns about my Alphard being a non European made vehicle and ask me to show the emissions evidence. Toyota Europe were not helpful. 
also it’s not the registration date that seems to matter, but the production date

5 minutes ago, Trefor L said:

I posted to this thread in October 20, and while 2006 seems to be fixed in stone, TfL also raised concerns about my Alphard being a non European made vehicle and ask me to show the emissions evidence. Toyota Europe were not helpful. 
also it’s not the registration date that seems to matter, but the production date

Agreed on the dates.

DVLA has a record of when the vehicle was produced, and, obviously, the date the vehicle was first registered with them in the UK.

I assume TfL uses the DVLA database.

It is no surprise that Toyota Europe were no help, they have taken the same stance on the E5 E10 issue !

The alphards 06 and above gen 1s are ULEZ, even though they have the same engines as the originals.

All the other gens are also ulez. Hope this helps 

(Forgot to mention ALL the hybrids no matter the year are ULEZ)

@Rojie @Chrisalphard @Trefor L

Edited by charliec

On 8/28/2021 at 11:23 PM, conradF said:

Hi everyone, ive just come across this thread after getting a surprising letter from TFL saying we are liable to pay the ULEZ charge for London on our Alphard hybrid (2006, 2.4l). I was wondering if anyone in this group has managed to engage with TFL successfully on this? Cheers. Conrad

Hi Conrad,

Check your Alphie again on the TfL xhecker.

At the end of this thread you will see I was incorrect.

Your Alphie should be ULEZ compliant.

Hi All, just so I am 100% on this a 2006 2.4 onwards is ULEZ a 2005 2.4 is not? There seems to be folk reporting charges even on 2006 onwards. Is it just a case of purchasing and then if you get the charge through contesting it? If so what evidence has proven successful? Thanks again for the help with this 

I think there is more opinion than experience being communicated here.

TfL are saying that vehicles before 2006 will be charged. Any imported vehicles after 2006 will have to show that it meets European levels. They are also saying it does not matter if it a Hybrid or not.

if anyone has managed to get TfL to agree anything different, please let us hear

• 7 months later...

Someone may find this data useful.

On the Nissan Elgrand Forum they have proof of a 2002 vehicle being exempt as the data showed that the vehicle was well below the limits.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/jpn/company/history/75years/vehicle_lineage/catalog/60000198/html5.html#page=27

https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/exemption-from-ulez-and-caz-charges-is-possible-for-pre-2006-e51s.33063/