Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Sliding door

52 minutes ago, Mike Matts said:

hi folks

has anyone noticed that if the side door windows are open the door opening is restricted not opening fully

Mike

Hi Mike,

How far do they open ?

I am wondering if this is some safety feature.

I'll check mine asap; and let you know.

3 hours ago, Mike Matts said:

hi folks

has anyone noticed that if the side door windows are open the door opening is restricted not opening fully

Mike

Yes they don't open fully if rear window down past a certain point, it's a safety feature so kids can't get out from back seats when door open, hope that helps

1 hour ago, Nigel Heyward said:

Seriously, I'm so glad I joined this group, I've learned so much about these vehicles in such a short time 😊😊

We are all glad you joined too.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 11:35 AM, Mike Matts said:

hi folks

Mike

As has been said it is a safety feature also if the fuel flap is open it stops the passenger side door from opening fully

• Like 2

While we are on the subject of side doors, does anyone know how to solve a powered nearside sliding door that will not open with the remote?

The offside door works perfectly, but of course the fridge blocks its use. It took several days including a  trip to the fishing tackle shop to buy a giant forceps for taking the hook out of monster fish to take out and put back the fuse and find it was OK. These forceps are abut 9 inches long and very thin. They have a little lock device so you can grasp the fuse with them and using a keyhole camera in my laptop, it only took 2 hours to replace the fuse. I have tried a new motor (about £2.50 from Japan + postage and reversed the polarity as suggested from somewhere I have forgotten), I have replaced the door control box - once with a part number said to be equivalent and once with a newer version of the same part number. With the original door control box, although it wouldn't power open, after manual opening, during the manual closing , a motor made the final pull into the side of the car. With the latest door control box, I have lost this and now need to give the door an extra shove to close it. Although this isn't in itself a serious issue, I park the car on a slope and the door is quite heavy and very difficult for my wife to open and shut. Add to this the fact that this door has to have the engine switched off, no key in the ignition and a press on the unlock fob to open in the first place. By the time she gets to the side door, she is already frustrated by the palaver of getting out of the front passenger door. Usually it takes three pulls of the door opening lever before she realises/remembers that there is a red safety catch to move first. Not like on her Honda. Well, anyone any ideas on re-powering the door? I should perhaps mention that working offside door has a different part number.

On 10/4/2022 at 7:40 PM, John Hollis said:

While we are on the subject of side doors, does anyone know how to solve a powered nearside sliding door that will not open with the remote?

The offside door works perfectly, but of course the fridge blocks its use. It took several days including a  trip to the fishing tackle shop to buy a giant forceps for taking the hook out of monster fish to take out and put back the fuse and find it was OK. These forceps are abut 9 inches long and very thin. They have a little lock device so you can grasp the fuse with them and using a keyhole camera in my laptop, it only took 2 hours to replace the fuse. I have tried a new motor (about £2.50 from Japan + postage and reversed the polarity as suggested from somewhere I have forgotten), I have replaced the door control box - once with a part number said to be equivalent and once with a newer version of the same part number. With the original door control box, although it wouldn't power open, after manual opening, during the manual closing , a motor made the final pull into the side of the car. With the latest door control box, I have lost this and now need to give the door an extra shove to close it. Although this isn't in itself a serious issue, I park the car on a slope and the door is quite heavy and very difficult for my wife to open and shut. Add to this the fact that this door has to have the engine switched off, no key in the ignition and a press on the unlock fob to open in the first place. By the time she gets to the side door, she is already frustrated by the palaver of getting out of the front passenger door. Usually it takes three pulls of the door opening lever before she realises/remembers that there is a red safety catch to move first. Not like on her Honda. Well, anyone any ideas on re-powering the door? I should perhaps mention that working offside door has a different part number.

Fascinating  information John. I just got my 2008 Vellfire with only remote control opening of kerb side sliding door . control on fob and switch on driver side knee level.  No control for sliding door behind driver.  Wonder if TOyota makes so many variations.

Still discovering what my 2008 Vellfire 2.4l  surprises are..  Cant say my sliding door does not fully open.   A feature I discovered about the two middle row seats.  There is a lever below each seat that can tilt  the seat upwards so that the whole chair can move forward a few inches towards the front. This actually allows for wider access to back seats. Very  convenient for rear row passengers.

3 hours ago, Wai Ho said:

Fascinating  information John. I just got my 2008 Vellfire with only remote control opening of kerb side sliding door . control on fob and switch on driver side knee level.  No control for sliding door behind driver.  Wonder if TOyota makes so many variations.

Not all models have a powered door on the drivers side, my 2003 MS has no power doors

On 10/4/2022 at 7:40 PM, John Hollis said:

With reference to the unlocking of the front passenger door, it should unlock from the main lock/unlock switch on the drivers door also all the doors can be programmed to unlock when  the ignition is on and the shift is moved into P, the setting procedure is in the owners manual. With regard to the side door have you checked the condition of the drive cable inside the door, or where it runs in the channel under the rear window, the outer covering cracks and splits then jams up the pulleys it could also be the drive motor inside the door. The motor you mentioned is the primary release/final close it does not actually open the door all the way, try putting the original control box back in to see if it will unlock,

1 hour ago, dezufo said:

Not all models have a powered door on the drivers side, my 2003 MS has no power doors

Thank you for  your update, I am happy with what I have but keen to discover what my Vellfire provides. Not intending to splash out much on it as I intend to have this Vellfire for 5 years. Its in good condition. Doing basics to cut out costs going to a car security guy who wants to charge £500. Hence all the learning to minimise cost.

On 10/3/2022 at 6:12 PM, Bob Williams said:

Hi Mike it is a safety feature, this little lever comes out to stop the door opening. you can over ride by holding it in and push the door all the way open

IMG_20221003_171504.thumb.jpg.63ac2b7d5db9da25ad76fd2213573628.jpg

• image.thumb.jpeg.cb68b29256b8eec5ce8d3e3b1257c701.jpeg

Thank you Bob for the pictures,  It will come in useful.

• Like 1