Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Reprogramming smart fob keys

12 hours ago, Sorin said:

Hi Teekay, I have a question: I bought recently a OBDII that I can use to scan my 2012 Vellfire. My phone connects to it via WiFi and I have an mobile app. https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/streetwize-obdii-code-reader-for-android-and-ios-553999810?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA3JCvBhA8EiwA4kujZt5VBcVRzw1spzBEo3PjEV-_5JrKMRPyZnSpGxpf-RFqik5o2rGPARoCAL4QAvD_BwE . Is this the same with the VCI cable? Can I use it with the Techstream software?  Also, what is the difference between the keys with different frequencies, 312, 313 and 414 Mhz? I need a 4 buttons key and I am not sure which is the correct one for me!

No, the cheapest way to add a new fob is via techstream as detailed above.

There are some standalone diagnostic tools that can do it, but they are significantly more expensive, to the point that a 2nd hand laptop and techstream is cheaper.

I have a vci cable, and a WiFi adaptor that works with techstream.

1 minute ago, Chris.ac said:

No, the cheapest way to add a new fob is via techstream as detailed above.

There are some standalone diagnostic tools that can do it, but they are significantly more expensive, to the point that a 2nd hand laptop and techstream is cheaper.

I have a vci cable, and a WiFi adaptor that works with techstream.

This is the fob you need for your hybrid.

You can check the listing,  it tells you the circuit board number

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255021256169

I finally managed to programme a new key fob for my Vellfire 2012 with Techstream. The whole process is a bit annoying but I manged to do it in the end. If anyneeds help, I am more than happy to help with details!

• 4 months later...
On 10/7/2018 at 10:18 AM, Djakninn said:

Follow this to the 'T' and it should work no problem with the smart fobs to open and close the doors (It looks convoluted, but worked for me on 1st attempt)

Before starting make sure you have no mobile phone in your possession/close by.

1. Sit in the drivers seat - Driver door open, key out of ignition 

2. Within 5 seconds, place key in ignition and take it out x 2 (Do not turn key)

3. Within 40 Seconds, close the drivers door and open x 2

4. Put key back in ignition (Do not turn key) and take it out

5. Within 40 Seconds, close the drivers door and open x 2

6. Key back in ignition and leave it in

7. Close drivers door

8. Turn key in ignition (Without starting car)

9. Turn key back and take key out of the ignition

(The door locks should automatically do a cycle - If nothing happens, you've done something wrong and will have to restart the re-programming again from the start)

Once the door locks have did their cycle :

10. Within 40 seconds press lock and unlock buttons on fob together for 2 secoonds

11. Then press lock button on fob for 2 seconds (The door locks should do a cycle again, if they do not complete a cycle, repeat step 10 and 11 again. If the door locks cycle twice, it also means that the re-programming has failed so repeat steps 10 and 11 again)

I wonder if this works for 2nd Gen Alphards/Vellfires?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2024 at 1:15 PM, Teekay said:

I wonder if this works for 2nd Gen Alphards/Vellfires?

No. There is no key hole on the 2nd gen. This method uses the chip reader that is in the keyhole surround. 

The 1st gen has a far simpler security ecu.