Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Rear screen - how to open it?

Hi All, my name's Declan and I'm about to take delivery of my 58 plate anh20 alphard. Can't wait! It's got the home theatre system and original head unit. I'm just wondering, how does the rear screen open up? Do you push a button on the head unit or is it a manual operation (I.E reach up and pull it open)? 

Sorry if that's a daft question, I searched and found the translated manual but couldn't see that basic step among the 400 or so pages! I also bought the translated owner manual from jpnz but that didn't really have any info on the entrainment system. Thanks in advance for any help! 

2 hours ago, Declan C said:

Hi All, my name's Declan and I'm about to take delivery of my 58 plate anh20 alphard. Can't wait! It's got the home theatre system and original head unit. I'm just wondering, how does the rear screen open up? Do you push a button on the head unit or is it a manual operation (I.E reach up and pull it open)? 

Sorry if that's a daft question, I searched and found the translated manual but couldn't see that basic step among the 400 or so pages! I also bought the translated owner manual from jpnz but that didn't really have any info on the entrainment system. Thanks in advance for any help! 

Hello Declan,

Welcome to the Forum.

The JPNZ Owners Manual is excellent, but, as you have discovered, it is pretty grim regarding 'in car entertainment'.

If you still have the OEM HDD system, try eightseater.blog.com, as he covers it in English very well.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I've had a look on that site but if I'm honest I couldn't see anything telling you how the rear screen opens, although it does look like a great resource. I'm just being impatient because I should have the car in the next few days so I'll play about with it then. Just seems like it should be easy to find that info, maybe you just pull it open?! 

Ok, yeah that's good then. I'm used to using Google translate as I used to have a nissan elgrand (don't hate me!). I can anticipate a fair few hours fiddling with things until I get the hang of it all! Thanks for the reply! 

On head unit, press the top left physical button (screen settings) 

Then press the middle top onscreen 'button', this will drop down the roof monitor. 

The on screen top right 'button' will turn off the headunit screen (turns black), useful if you want less distraction when driving. 

• Thanks 2

On 3/27/2023 at 10:12 PM, Declan C said:

Thank you this is really helpful! 

I can talk you through the other things, like setting Bluetooth calling and media (two separate connections) using the 'G' button to track fuel economy, using the service reminder screen (to set up milage to alert you when to change oil, filter, brakes,tyres, coolant etc)

lots of stuff is usable, just not the inbuilt TV tuner and the FM is band restricted, so you can only get radio 2 and some local pirate stations.

You can also turn off the ETC voice reminders, you can adjust the sensitivity of the sonar parking, some other options too.

Chris that's great! I've used Google translate to find a few things in the menus but yeah I'm interested in the g button for tracking fuel if you don't mind! 

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to change it so the electric doors and tailgate only do 1 beep when opening or closing instead of constant beeping?! 

Also have one door that seems to occasionally refuses to close all the way and opens back up again so that might need sorting. Lubrication? 

I purchased a decent quality BT dongle and the Car Scanner app hoping to turn off the doors and tailgate beeping. I’ve not managed to find that setting, though the manual suggests it can be changed.

Car Scanner does, though, allow live tracking of lots of data - including fuel consumption.

Edited by anotherdom

5 hours ago, anotherdom said:

I purchased a decent quality BT dongle and the Car Scanner app hoping to turn off the doors and tailgate beeping. I’ve not managed to find that setting, though the manual suggests it can be changed.

Car Scanner does, though, allow live tracking of lots of data - including fuel consumption.

This can only be done via Toyota Techstream. Which cost's pretty penny. It involves reprogramming the ecu which is not for the faint hearted.

On 3/31/2023 at 8:27 AM, Declan C said:

Chris that's great! I've used Google translate to find a few things in the menus but yeah I'm interested in the g button for tracking fuel if you don't mind! 

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to change it so the electric doors and tailgate only do 1 beep when opening or closing instead of constant beeping?! 

Also have one door that seems to occasionally refuses to close all the way and opens back up again so that might need sorting. Lubrication? 

Fuel:

Hit the physical button with large G in the Japanese text, then press on 2nd on screen icon (bargraph) 

You will see a chart for each running minute. 

If you press the lower left screen button, it will show 'trips' that you update by long pressing the steering wheel 'disp' button while the 'eco graph' is shown on the dashboard screen (you can get to the eco graph by pressing the 'disp button' to cycle through the various screens. 

When you long press the 'disp' button, it resets the average fuel use in the dash and transfers it to the headunit memory

IMG_20211108_143128.jpg

IMG_20211108_143115.jpg

Aha, thank you! Is there any way of calibrating this fuel economy figure? Mine is way off! It says my average is 4.6km/l but when I actually work it out, its about half that. 

12 hours ago, Declan C said:

Aha, thank you! Is there any way of calibrating this fuel economy figure? Mine is way off! It says my average is 4.6km/l but when I actually work it out, its about half that. 

Hi Declan,

I think you may need to do your calculation again.

4.6 km/l is 7 mpg !

Surely it cannot be that bad.

Yeah, that's what the display shows but it's doing a lot better than that in reality, about 18mpg on the last tank of lpg. Not sure if the computer gets confused with it running on lpg or something. I tracked the consumption on my way to work this morning using the bar chart on the G book menu, worked out ab average of 27mpg (mostly motorway). Just seems like the little screen on the dash is confused! 

On 4/6/2023 at 12:04 PM, Declan C said:

Yeah, that's what the display shows but it's doing a lot better than that in reality, about 18mpg on the last tank of lpg. Not sure if the computer gets confused with it running on lpg or something. I tracked the consumption on my way to work this morning using the bar chart on the G book menu, worked out ab average of 27mpg (mostly motorway). Just seems like the little screen on the dash is confused! 

Did you have your dash converted to mph via electronic box, or speedo face plate swap? 

If electronic, the figures on the dash are now  miles per litre, not km/l. 

The G button takes its reading via canbus directly from ecu so it is in the correct km/L

Edited by Chris.ac

Thanks Chris, this makes perfect sense, i speedo conversion done electronically. However if I convert what it tells me now (5.5 miles per litre) to km, that's 8.8km/litre, which is approx 24 mpg (imperial gallon). That works out a bit more than I calculated when topping up, 194 miles from 64litres of lpg. Is the figure shown generally a bit "optimistic"? 

On 4/11/2023 at 5:48 PM, Declan C said:

Thanks Chris, this makes perfect sense, i speedo conversion done electronically. However if I convert what it tells me now (5.5 miles per litre) to km, that's 8.8km/litre, which is approx 24 mpg (imperial gallon). That works out a bit more than I calculated when topping up, 194 miles from 64litres of lpg. Is the figure shown generally a bit "optimistic"? 

I'm not sure about lpg. 

But 28mpg sounds right, depending on driving routes and speed. 

Can you go to the 'eco' Disp on your dash (the screen with the little bar graph) 

Long press the Disp button on the steering wheel until the reading on the dash zeros. 

Now on the headunit, go to the consumption screen and press the lower left screen icon, the last bar on right will be the last average consumption since the Disp button was last long pressed. 

In this way, you can transfer your average consumption each time you fill up. 

What reading does that show? And is there any previous data bars to compare against? The data may have been lost if the battery was disconnected, I never got the chance to see what the previous japanese owner managed to get as a comparison.