Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Headlights

Anyone have suggestions on how to clean headlights. My headlights seem to have a gold/bronze colour I have tried McGuire’s headlight cleaner etc.  maybe they are supposed to be that colour any ideas welcome

I’ve used Armor headlight wipes. Worked pretty well. 

got to work reasonably quick as the wipe dries out and there’s a lot of surface to wipe!

Used Holt's headlight cleaning kit, worked a treat, 3 grades of sandpaper, headlight compound and sealer spray, although I bought a proper headlight spray lacquer, the Holt's one isn't permanent so has to be put on after you wash the car, it feels a bit like dash shine...... Greasy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thomas said:

Anyone have suggestions on how to clean headlights. My headlights seem to have a gold/bronze colour I have tried McGuire’s headlight cleaner etc.  maybe they are supposed to be that colour any ideas welcome

Some models do have a bronze tint, if they are cloudy then you can polish them clear

I used the same kit, was a bit worried when the glass became opaque, but once you've polished it out it comes up well.

I also took it to a body shop who charged me £20 and did a much better job. They use professional polishers which my power drill was unable to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jenny Smedley said:

Our local garage did a great job on ours after I tried products, which only worked a little.

2 hours ago, Jenny Smedley said:

Our local garage did a great job on ours after I tried products, which only worked a little.

Did mine last year with a cheap kit and didn't last long,bought a more expensive kit autoglym headlight restorer and was great, but needs to be sealed with decent sealer autoglym rapid ceramic spray,and needs to be cleaned regularly and reaply ceramic every couple of weeks or month,ceramic polish spray should last 3 months ,reaply for how ever long you own the car ,I read up when brand new cars are made with plastic headlights they seal them but it comes off after about 3 months ish depending on weather how much you wash your car etc,so all plastic headlights need to be washed and resealed regularly, using the kit I use mine are perfectly clear ,hope this helps you 

Edited by Mickw
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 5:34 PM, Thomas said:

Hi. Mine need doing again as I didn't get time to lacquer them after cleaning last time.

A gentle abrasive is required to removed the old lacquer, a polish up, wash and re-laquer, then done.

Someone suggested to me that cheap toothpaste is abrasive enough to work, I tried it, and, hey presto, it worked!!! As I said, I didn't get round to laquering them, but will do again shortly. I masked off the painwork first and then rubbed in using a firm sponge.

Some people use a rotary polisher. It was hard work by hand, but only cost me 99p for the toothpaste!

I believe you can use TCut although that is much more expense; and believe it or not, the toothpaste smells better!!!

Halford or B&Q should be able to recommend a lacquer.

John Harrison. Wallasey, Wirral.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thompson's uPVC Restorer. It's available at £7 from B&Q but these results are from my ten year old bottle. The formula may have changed since then.

The job cost me about 15 mins for both lights plus 2 J cloths. Here's my before and after picture:

image.png.f0739aa240676c35ed9b9f705c87af40.png

image.png.d088392a7b0fbd878da26b23318b8a96.png

Edited by Geralt
Added pic of bottle.
  • Like 3