Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Head Unit Replacement 2023

Does anyone know if this unit:

12.1 inch Android 13 For Toyota Alphard Vellfire 20 Series 2008-2014 Tesla Style Car DVD Player GPS Navigation Radio Head Unit

will fit an Alphard 2011 which is not a Vellfire?

I am hoping to install a good modern-looking and high-spec functioning unit in my 2011 which is newly arrived with a unit that chats away in Japanese.

If there are any real good unit already on the market here I would love to know about them rather than importing .

Cheers

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Richard,

We had the same issue, however after a bit of research there are a number of options. We did not want to lose the speakers and all the other items on the standard head unit so we did the following to establish the best route to overcome the current issue.

Firstly I bought a FM transmitter from Halfords it was about £40.00 you plug it into the lighter socket and then tune it into the radio very easy to install then Bluetooth your phone to it and away you go. Works like a treat.

Secondly I then wanted satnav for the UK and Europe as we do a lot of European travel. So a member from the club made reference to a product called a Seven tour P10.

there are a number of videos on Youtube and other devices that do the same sort of thing. The P10 does have a front and read dash cam so that was an extra that is worth taking into account.

We ordered it, it took a couple of weeks but not an issue as it was coming from the USA. I installed it and set up with my phone, so now I have apple Carplay or you can have the Android set up if you like on the same device.

The picture quality is very good, the Video is 4k and again very good you get a 64GB card to record the video onto which is a bonus. the only issue I have found it is will drop connection however this might be to do with the actual phone connection not the device.

I mounted mine on the dash in the center it is very clear easy to use and even gives you warning of oncoming traffic and lane departure warning, its not cheap however you do get a lot for your money.

all the best

cookie crew

• 1 month later...

You can easily swap over to Android head units and retain pretty much all the factory features. The chinese sellers offer a MOST converter box like this.... C-TY-24

Screenshotat2023-12-2318-20-35.png.869349b6b8099a0238355ea91b53aa62.png

This adapter box I paid £136.74 on Aliexpress including tax and shipping. And the Android head unit I bought was the TS10 with 4 GB RAM and 32gb storage for £157.44 inc delivery and taxes. I didn't get the great big screen option as I wanted to keep the factory heater controls. Nor do I want a massive screen dazzling me during night driving.

Screenshotat2023-12-2318-21-14.png.ff813177b7d6bd5731c057a68de2f019.png

And that makes it all just a plug in affair with the Vellfire/Alphard 20 series vehicles. The reverse camera just works, and the steering wheel controls too. And it retains the multi speaker Toyota system so you get to keep everything pretty normal. I did not have to cut a single wire, everything just plugged in. Literally anyone could do it.

These android head units really are mega as they have proper google maps included, along with USB media support so you can watch all the film and audio rips you'd ever want. Along with being able to stream stuff off your phone too. The bluetooth phone is really good.

The only bits that doesn't work is the rear flip down monitor, and the front grill camera and the passenger mirror camera. BUT they all can be wired in very easily. The rear monitor is the easiest by far and I've done some posts on it here...

• 1 month later...

I am looking at swaping over the head unit but all of the pictures look different to what I have. I have a 2010 Vellfire 3.5.

The new head units on ebay and Ali express show a different original head unit. Has anyone experienced changing on of these?

Thanks

20240211_192522.jpg

Hi Grant  I am just come to the end of my search for a head unit. I have. a 2010/11 Alphard with the same design. I wanted a 13" screen to replace it. Unless you want to gamble on a cheap one from China which no one has managed to fit in the UK yet. (Oh there are 13" screens available in the UK but they will set you back north of £1K) Then you are stuck with a screen the size of your current one. There are several good ones around and they will fit your configuration.

• 3 months later...
On 2/12/2024 at 4:44 PM, RAZ said:

Hi Grant  I am just come to the end of my search for a head unit. I have. a 2010/11 Alphard with the same design. I wanted a 13" screen to replace it. Unless you want to gamble on a cheap one from China which no one has managed to fit in the UK yet. (Oh there are 13" screens available in the UK but they will set you back north of £1K) Then you are stuck with a screen the size of your current one. There are several good ones around and they will fit your configuration.

becareful with your aircon , we have a lot off issued in here , sometimes aircon didnt work properly , better use 10 inch max and keep the original aircon button

• 1 month later...

First post here... this is what I got. Only thing doesn't work is the OEM 270 camera, cannot get it show up on the screen whatsoever... probably the small decoder box doesn't compatible. Waiting for another one from the factory to try... 

Or, if anyone know there's a trick or something to make it work, please DO let me know! 

IMG_3260.thumb.jpg.bf5f355d67d650a625fb5d4cfc58033d.jpg

Edited by opelrsx

It seems there are number of different original head unit options. My 2011 Alphard had a Panasonic head unit fitted as original and the only rear connector that I have been able to match up with the wiring diagrams or anything else is the FM aerial connector. All the others seem to be unique to that particular unit. 

To fit a Pioneer head unit I am having to run new cables and cut wires from the original plugs where I have been able to identify them.