Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Vellfire advise

CraigA

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a Vellfire and would appreciate some advise please.

1. I have aspirations of doing the North Coast 500 next year and plan to sleep in the Vellfire. So my question is can the seats in a 7 seater be made into a bed (for 2 people), or is it only the 8 seater models? Are there any major differences between the two (7 and 8 seater) apart from the extra seat.
  2. As I'll be doing the NC500 should I consider a 4wd model.
  3. Any idea what the average MPG is for a 2010 model (3.5ltr)?
  4. The car I'm looking at is an 8 seater 2010 model (auction grade 4.5), has 50k on the clock and the cost is 14k - does this price seem reasonable?
  5. Are parts easy to come by?

Thanks for your help.

Craig

Edited by CraigA

1. Electric Captains/Ottoman seats - no. Normal seats - yes but it's not flat so but you'll need to fill in dips with foam/fabric

2. Pointless, doesn't seem to make much difference in 99% of situations and it's another thing to go wrong

3. Anything from 18-32 MPG depending on driving conditions (i.e. no point asking as it's so varied)

4. A tad overpriced but depends on other options it has. Also, if buying from a dealer you'll have the dealer premium

5. Relatively yes, Amayama.com, local Toyota or any number of breakers around the UK. The bigger the part the more expensive shipping will be, so don't ever scratch or damage the bodywork or bumpers as you'll need to sell your kidneys, and your children's kidneys to cover the cost of shipping a bumper from Japan. 

Edited by Babu

NC500 mileage will not be high as many roads are little better then lanes with passing places.

It is all about scenery, not mpg.

Plan your fuel stops carefully, and you will need a loo on board.

• 2 months later...
On 1/25/2024 at 6:06 PM, Babu said:

1. Electric Captains/Ottoman seats - no. Normal seats - yes but it's not flat so but you'll need to fill in dips with foam/fabric

2. Pointless, doesn't seem to make much difference in 99% of situations and it's another thing to go wrong

3. Anything from 18-32 MPG depending on driving conditions (i.e. no point asking as it's so varied)

4. A tad overpriced but depends on other options it has. Also, if buying from a dealer you'll have the dealer premium

5. Relatively yes, Amayama.com, local Toyota or any number of breakers around the UK. The bigger the part the more expensive shipping will be, so don't ever scratch or damage the bodywork or bumpers as you'll need to sell your kidneys, and your children's kidneys to cover the cost of shipping a bumper from Japan. 

Regarding the 8 seater version with the middle row 'bench' - does this not have the ability to fold flat into a bed, like in a Gen 1 Alphard? (I have been trying to find a definitive answer to this, but was assuming that it did fold in such a way, with it being a 'flat' back seat)

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 8 seater Vellfire. The middle and back seats can be arranged into a bed, although they do not fold completely flat as you can see in the picture.image.thumb.jpeg.825ef8f4569429cd80a2dc9da8600967.jpeg

6 hours ago, CraigA said:

I have an 8 seater Vellfire. The middle and back seats can be arranged into a bed, although they do not fold completely flat as you can see in the picture.

That's brilliant - thank you, exactly what I was after. It is very similar to the series 10 in that sense, as that folds down in a similar manner. I imagine it should be ok to sleep on, with a slim inflatable mattres on top? (have you tried sleeping on it?)

I see that since January you must have purchased a Vellfire, how are you finding it?  What model Vellfire is yours can I ask? - As I am looking for an 8 seater 3.5 litre Alphard or Vellfire, with sunroof, and ideally electric curtains - both of which yours appears to have !

I was originally looking for a series 20 but now I'm shifting toward a 20 series instead - I just wish that the 8 seater 20 series was able to rotate that middle bench in the same way. I love the idea that you can have an impromptu picnic table scenario (4/5 people facing each other, middle > rear seats) anywhere you go, rain or shine, it's a nice thing to have with the kids. Same goes for the 'bed' option too, so practical.

1. yes if they are not the captains seats but they aren't comfy to sleep on like a bed.

2. No the nc500 will not require 4wd

3. Dont buy a vellfire or Alphard if you have any concerns about fuel economy, they are thirsty.

4. Impossible to say based on the limited info....did you buy one yet?

5. Not had any issues so far with mechanical parts but I suspect anything vehical specific will be troublesome.....but then that's true of all vehicles at the moment 

Hi Sumogogg,

I purchased the Vellfire in Feb and am really pleased with it. I purchased the 350 Z V6, 8 seater Vellfire on a 2010 plate. It has two sunroofs (moonroof) which are great on sunny days. It also comes with a DVD player, a little old school these days perhaps but ideal for watching a movie when I've no mobile/wifi signal. I don't have the electric curtains (or at least I don't think so, keep finding new buttons). The bed isn't super comfortable, but does the job (roll mat makes it more comfortable). I've no plans to move into the van so not a problem :0)

As Big_boz has said it is a tad thirsty on fuel, but it's pulling 2 ton so never going to be. I happily motor along at 70 mph and only need to put my foot down when over taking, which the V6 does with ease.

I'm taking it over to France later in the year and plan to do the NC500 next year.

If you're looking for insurance then consider Mark Richard insurance as they worked out the cheapest, for me anyway.

I purchased the van in Dudley, Stuart Spencer Autos. Stuart was great to deal with. Highly recommend.

2 hours ago, CraigA said:

Hi Sumogogg,

I purchased the Vellfire in Feb and am really pleased with it. I purchased the 350 Z V6, 8 seater Vellfire on a 2010 plate. It has two sunroofs (moonroof) which are great on sunny days. It also comes with a DVD player, a little old school these days perhaps but ideal for watching a movie when I've no mobile/wifi signal. I don't have the electric curtains (or at least I don't think so, keep finding new buttons). The bed isn't super comfortable, but does the job (roll mat makes it more comfortable). I've no plans to move into the van so not a problem :0)

As Big_boz has said it is a tad thirsty on fuel, but it's pulling 2 ton so never going to be. I happily motor along at 70 mph and only need to put my foot down when over taking, which the V6 does with ease.

I'm taking it over to France later in the year and plan to do the NC500 next year.

If you're looking for insurance then consider Mark Richard insurance as they worked out the cheapest, for me anyway.

I purchased the van in Dudley, Stuart Spencer Autos. Stuart was great to deal with. Highly recommend.

Stuart Spencer is one of a quite a small group of first class dealers.

On 4/25/2024 at 9:56 AM, CraigA said:

Hi Sumogogg,

Many thanks for the info and advice and for the insurance tip too will defintely check that out! I'm really torn between a 10 series or 20 series Alphard, but edging towards a 20 series and purely on the looks alone I think the Vellfire looks the best. 

35 minutes ago, sumogogg said:

Many thanks for the info and advice and for the insurance tip too will defintely check that out! I'm really torn between a 10 series or 20 series Alphard, but edging towards a 20 series and purely on the looks alone I think the Vellfire looks the best. 

Velfire absolutely looks best, series 20 more so than the later series 30.

Depending on budget you can get a 2014 velfire now without IVA required that's a very late s20. 

1 hour ago, big_boz said:

Velfire absolutely looks best, series 20 more so than the later series 30.

Depending on budget you can get a 2014 velfire now without IVA required that's a very late s20. 

A 2014 without IVA (VAT) ? Please elaborate for us all.

IVA isn't Vat, IVA is individual vehical approval which is required for import vehicles under 10 years old, over 10 years old only MOT is required.

IVA is mush more stringent and intensive than MOT.

My point being the very newest of s20s are pretty much all 10 years old, s30 started in 2015

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, big_boz said:

IVA isn't Vat, IVA is individual vehicle approval which is required for import vehicles under 10 years old, over 10 years old only MOT is required.

IVA is much more stringent and intensive than MOT.

My point being the very newest of s20s are pretty much all 10 years old, s30 started in 2015

Thank you for the clarity.

I was aware of the 10 year situation, but not the term IVA in this context.

Thanks for explaining it to me.