Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

E10 Fuel compatibility.

I understand that standard 95 octane fuel is due to be phased out soon. Typically the Alphard is not listed on gov E10 fuel checker website.

By my reckoning the 3.0 1MZ-FE is ok on E10 fuel, however it appears that the 2.4 2AZ-FE is not compatible.

In which case it looks like all of you 2.4 drivers need to fill up on super unleaded from later in the summer.

https://check-vehicle-compatibility-e10-petrol.service.gov.uk/manufacturer/

From my understanding 2.4 2AZ-FSE with direct injection is not compatible and this is not an Alphard engine, Alphard 2.4 engine is 2AZ-FE.

I believe the direct injection system is the problem for E10.

Hello, I was told the 2.4 engine is used in the Rav4. i have copied below what i found from a google search. I read this as all 2.4 owners should be okay on E10 as it is the FE engine not the FSE as used in the avensis.

The Alphard has 2 engine choices, both petrol: a 4 cylinder 2.4 litre or a V6 3 litre. The 3 litre V6 1MZ-FE also features on the Lexus RX300 and Toyota Camry, amongst others. The 2.4 2AZ-FE has previously been seen in the UK in the Previa and RAV4.

Good morning just heard about this change today and very confused. It seems from reading that the E10 has more ethanol and therefore damages fuel lines amongst other things.

I have no knowledge of cars and just need to know if getting fuel from Sept 2021 is going to be more difficult. Don’t mind paying more for another grade but reports say once a garage changes to E10 it is unlikely they will offer E5. Are things like 98 Ron still ok to use if available, frankly I have no idea. Any advice much appreciated.

I have no manual, I have looked under the hood and there is nothing on the engine to say what it is.

As far as I know my Alphard is

Vehicle make    TOYOTA VELLFIRE
Date of first registration    May 2007
Year of manufacture    2007
Cylinder capacity    2360 cc
CO₂ emissions    0 g/km
Fuel type    PETROL

I am sure more information will come to light soon but I am a bit concerned by this especially as I have only had my car since April this year. Thanks if anyone can help.

On 6/26/2021 at 1:34 PM, paulatharris1965 said:

Good morning just heard about this change today and very confused. It seems from reading that the E10 has more ethanol and therefore damages fuel lines amongst other things.

I have no knowledge of cars and just need to know if getting fuel from Sept 2021 is going to be more difficult. Don’t mind paying more for another grade but reports say once a garage changes to E10 it is unlikely they will offer E5. Are things like 98 Ron still ok to use if available, frankly I have no idea. Any advice much appreciated.

I have no manual, I have looked under the hood and there is nothing on the engine to say what it is.

As far as I know my Alphard is

Vehicle make    TOYOTA VELLFIRE
Date of first registration    May 2007
Year of manufacture    2007
Cylinder capacity    2360 cc
CO₂ emissions    0 g/km
Fuel type    PETROL

I am sure more information will come to light soon but I am a bit concerned by this especially as I have only had my car since April this year. Thanks if anyone can help.

You can find your engine model on the left column of the passenger door label

image.png.ce0359d8c51d153a2886f04f08c62177.png

Edited by nov
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Granny and Pop said:

There is no plate in the position you describe on my 04 Alphard.   Where else might such info be displayed? 

Under the bonnet.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I am a newbie to this Alphard Club and I will be opening an account soon, HOWEVER, I need to know can I use E10 fuel in my 2003 Alphard 2.4 (2AZ-FE),

YES or NO? as I have just filled it with E10. Will I need to drain it or add 95RON to it and can I use petrol REDEX in the fuel system.

Thanking you in anticipation for any reply.

Just checked gov.uk everyone who has commented is correct. It will not affect either the 2.4, 3.0v6 or the 3.5v6. So all is good! It is only the 2AZ-FSE engine which was in the toyota Avensis which is not compatible. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2021 at 9:15 AM, pasty_and_a_pint said:

I understand that standard 95 octane fuel is due to be phased out soon. Typically the Alphard is not listed on gov E10 fuel checker website.

By my reckoning the 3.0 1MZ-FE is ok on E10 fuel, however it appears that the 2.4 2AZ-FE is not compatible.

In which case it looks like all of you 2.4 drivers need to fill up on super unleaded from later in the summer.

https://check-vehicle-compatibility-e10-petrol.service.gov.uk/manufacturer/

Hi I've just took a photo of my Toyota alphard 2004 3.0v6 petrol cap,it's got Japanese writing which translates to high octane, looking through Google at Japanese petrol information 95 octane is 89 to 95 in octane value,high octane is 96 and above in Japan,I'm sure European 95 octane minimum will be fine to run affords on,since Toyota engines after 1998 are mostly OK for e10 fuel, I'm sure affords are OK to run on e10 ,rubbers etc should all be same quality, if you're not shure then put in high octane, its going to on sale for ages yet or buy an additive to increase octane 

Edited by Mickw
Amendments

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 8:41 AM, Danny Stewart said:

Bump. 

I would also like to know if 2AZ-FXE engine is compatible with E10. 

Thanks.

Hi George

Thank you for your email regarding the use of E10 fuel in your Alphard.

The E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Toyota European petrol models with some exclusions, however, as your car is an import, we would not be able to advise you if this petrol is suitable for your car.

If your petrol vehicle is not compatible with E10 fuel, you will still be able to use E5 by purchasing the 'super' grade (97+ octane) petrol from most filling stations. Petrol pumps will clearly label petrol as either E10 or E5.

You can find our further details on this on our blog via the following link: https://mag.toyota.co.uk/e10-petrol-what-is-it-and-can-i-use-it/

Thank you for contacting Toyota, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. 

Kind regards

Dominique

Dominique Tiltman
Customer Support
Toyota (GB) PLC 
Distributor of vehicles, parts and accessories for the UK

23 hours ago, George said:

Hi George

Thank you for your email regarding the use of E10 fuel in your Alphard.

The E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Toyota European petrol models with some exclusions, however, as your car is an import, we would not be able to advise you if this petrol is suitable for your car.

If your petrol vehicle is not compatible with E10 fuel, you will still be able to use E5 by purchasing the 'super' grade (97+ octane) petrol from most filling stations. Petrol pumps will clearly label petrol as either E10 or E5.

You can find our further details on this on our blog via the following link: https://mag.toyota.co.uk/e10-petrol-what-is-it-and-can-i-use-it/

Thank you for contacting Toyota, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. 

Kind regards

Dominique

Dominique Tiltman
Customer Support
Toyota (GB) PLC 
Distributor of vehicles, parts and accessories for the UK

You won't get far with Toyota UK customer support regarding imports, they have prewritten template to use as in your above example. They don't even know that Alphard engines are also used across different European models and these engines are not manufactured in EU. They are also imported from Japan 😂.

It's very clear actually... E10 is not compatible for Toyota Direct Injection engines...  and that's the rocket science behind E10 and Toyota engines.

Just read an article from Andrews Japanese Cars which states that the 2AZ-FXE doesnt have gasoline direct injection so should be fine for E10. They state that engines that end SE are all Gasoline Direct Injection and shouldnt use E10

• Like 1

There are some interesting facts emerging about this fuel debate.

I strongly advise any Alphie users to watch the videos on youtube by "cuttothechase" regarding his ODB data.

Among other things it does explain why some Alphies are (initially) running quite rough on E10.

He advocates using E5; so watch his videos to find out why !