Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Toyota Alphard Recall in the UK - Takata Airbag Recall

Over the years their were a few recalls to the Alphard. If you alphard has been in the country for a while or maybe even recently imported, it could be due for a recall. 

The few recalls are as follows

1. 2010 - Problem status 2010 (Fuel Pump and Brake Fluid/Servo)

1. Because the fuel pump electric wire in the fuel tank is hard to bend, the connection terminal part may slide when the pump mounting surface is greatly displaced by tank internal pressure change when opening the filler opening. Therefore, if you continue to use it as it is, the connection terminal part wears and heat is generated by energization, the terminal fitting force decreases and conduction failure occurs, the fuel pump stops, there is a possibility of engine being unable to start or to be stalled while running.
  2.  In the brake master cylinder, lubrication evaluation with the brake fluid used in the market was insufficient, so even if the brake fluid conforms to the standards, if a brake fluid with a low polymer content is used, the rubber at the rear end of the cylinder There is a possibility that the seal part of the product will be lubricated and turned up. Therefore, if the brake fluid leaks from the seal part and the warning lamp lights up, if continuing to use as it is, in the worst case, the braking force may decrease.

2. Problem status 2014 ( Passenger Airbag)
In the inflator (inflator) for the passenger airbag, damage to the inflator container occurred during vehicle dismantling work. For this reason, although the cause is not known, in the same type inflator of the same year, the inflator container is broken when the airbag is deployed and it scatters, it may fire and the passenger may be injured, so all vehicles, preventive As a measure, we will exchange the inflator for good products.

3. Problem status 2015 (Passenger Airbag)
In the inflator (inflator) for the passenger airbag, as a result of investigating the items collected in the market, it was confirmed that the inflator container was defective in airtightness. Therefore, in the course of long-term use, moisture in the atmosphere may penetrate into the inflator, the gas generating agent may absorb moisture and may not develop properly when operating the airbag.

You will need your VIN in the box, the parts in red are what you need to input from your own VIN

http://www.toyota.co.jp/recall-search/dc/result?FRAME_DIV=MNH10&FRAME_NO=0088734

Frame types are something like
MNH10
MNH 15
ANH10
ANH15
ATH10

Frame numbers are 7 digits

The vehicle linked above is a vehicle that has had all the recalls done. Screenshot in english below

5ad07296ca857_ScreenShot2018-04-13at10_03_08.thumb.png.ac2eaaabe15560cd0fefc7406499f8fa.png

If you are using chrome you will be able to use translate button near the top of the browser window.

What if your Alphard is due a recall?

If your Alphard has something similar to the screenshot below then your car is due for a recall

5ad073279260b_ScreenShot2018-04-13at10_06_13.thumb.png.897c8101f335cf5175b2c73f583c297a.png

Because the car was exported then in Japan their notification to the Japanese owner ends as they do not know the new oversees owner.

What to do?

At the moment there are no official recalls due to this car in the UK, it only applies to the car in Japan. Your local Toyota dealer will have no record of this recall. Basically your dealer will need to get permission from Toyota Japan in order for Toyota Japan to pay for the recall.

However, your local dealer may not want to do the recall or even research. It does solely depend on the dealer. If you do your homework and contact Toyota Japan to get authorisation sent to Toyota GB, then Toyota GB will contact you so you can get the recall done at your local dealership.

Of course if you are due the airbag recall then it's worth the time and effort.

I will update this thread once i find out more information.

• Like 1

Update

I Contacted Toyota GB with an email explaining my car was due for a recall in Japan, showing them the recall page and also providing screenshots of the page that had been translated.

Next day I received a call from Toyota customer services who took more details from me and then passed in on the legal and compliance dept. He did say it can take up to 12 weeks, but could be sooner.

It is best to be patient. I will keep an update on how it goes.

• 3 months later...

Hi, any news on this recall thread please. My  2005 Alphard has 2 outstanding recalls for airbag I need to address at some time, just thought I would ask before contacting Toyota GB.

Regards

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

There are 2 email addresses you need to contact.

ap-overseas@mail.toyota.co.jp

cr@toyota.co.uk

Make sure you add both emails by cc-ing one of them.

No point contacting Toyota GB directly, these emails will work. This order needs to come from Toyota Japan which will hit Toyota Europe, Toyota Europe then instruct Toyota GB, who then instruct a dealer to contact you with an appointment. You will get a call by Toyota GB before it goes to the dealer though.

The dealer needs to receive instructions booklet on how to change the airbag etc.

Dear Sir/Madam

CC Toyota Japan

I currently own a Toyota Alphard here in the UK which was imported from Japan last year. 

According to the Toyota Japan recall page, my Toyota is due 2 x airbag recalls that have not been rectified.

My Vin number is: MNH10-000000<--- ***ADD VIN NUMBER HERE***  (2005 3.0 V6 V-Spec model) <-- ADD SPEC MODEL HERE

I have attached a screenshot of the translated page showing the outstanding recalls.

Would it be possible for you to assist me in having my recalls remedied by my local dealership please.

My Local dealer is BLAHAH Toyota In Town, County <--- ***ADD Dealer name and town and county HERE***

UK Registration: BB05 DDD <--- ***ADD REG NUMBER HERE***

Thank you

Sample email sent above.. make sure you edit the bits that need editing carefully.

• Like 3

Contacted Toyota GB direct on the 27th July, no problem, the cs lady was very helpful.  They are now waiting to hear  back from Toyota Japan, who are verifying the recalls on my vehicle prior to authorising the work.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AIRBAG RECALL

I have received the official DVLA recall letter after contacting Toyota GB. Contacted the local dealership as instructed who knew nothing about it. They investigated with Toyota both in U.K. and also Japan. They advised that the replacement parts have not yet been manufactured. They will contact me when the replacement parts are available. Hope this helps

Edited by Tom Horsman
No subject matter

Tom, this is the same for everyone. we've been on the waiting list for two years. :( 

Might be worth checking your brake servo. as on the 2002 models there is a recall for them and they have them in stock. we had ours done 6 months ago.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Airbag recall 

try

www.toyota.co.jp/recall-search/dc/en/result 

make sure you have the chassis number. If no luck go to coc@toyota.co.uk.     This is the legal and compliance department. The vehicle certification administrator is Emma Lione (as of September 2019).

Have now received a second recall letter. It appears the parts are now available and waiting to hear from nominated Toyota dealership next week for when the Alphard can be booked in. Fingers crossed all goes well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Airbag recall 

following the second letter from DVLA/Toyota, my local Toyota service centre has now placed an order for the parts. Parts will be received in early March when they will contact me with a date to have the airbag replaced.

will advise outcome 

Tom Horsman 

On 2/12/2020 at 1:23 PM, GavinM said:

I followed the instructions in this post but the email address ap-overseas@mail.toyota.co.jp  doesn't work any more. Does anyone else have an up to date email for Toyota japan

i think the UK address is now the only one you need. They will follow up on it. Just takes a little bit of time.

The dealer needs to receive the part and instruction book on how to replace the part. As most technicians have never worked on an Alphard before.

• 1 year later...

There is a post on this Forum, somewhere, that provides a website to check if your Alphie needs a recall.

I'll try and find it.

Basically, through the website you can request full service history from Toyota Japan.

There is a small fee.

I was told by my local Toyota dealer that they can make the recall enquiry on my behalf.

If the vehicle is subject to a recall that has not been performed; Toyota UK make a request to Toyota Japan and, despite your vehicle being a grey import, Toyota Japan will authorise the work AND pay for it ! The process can take quite some time !

I expect all this to happen during my first official Toyota UK service.

Have a safe journey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rojie said:

There is a post on this Forum, somewhere, that provides a website to check if your Alphie needs a recall.

I'll try and find it.

Basically, through the website you can request full service history from Toyota Japan.

There is a small fee.

I was told by my local Toyota dealer that they can make the recall enquiry on my behalf.

If the vehicle is subject to a recall that has not been performed; Toyota UK make a request to Toyota Japan and, despite your vehicle being a grey import, Toyota Japan will authorise the work AND pay for it ! The process can take quite some time !

Have a safe journey.

Do toyota pay for they new airbags?? 

13 hours ago, charliec said:

Do Toyota pay for they new airbags?? 

Hi Charlie,

I am not sure what corrective action is taken.

Whatever action is needed will be funded by Toyota (Japan).

You NEED PRIOR authorisation first; otherwise, I guess, you pay the whole bill.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rojie said:

I'll try and find it.

There is a small fee.

Have a safe journey.

Hi Roger

Its actually in the first post of this thread.

I don't remember paying anything though.

1 hour ago, Alphard Club said:

Hi Roger

Its actually in the first post of this thread.

I don't remember paying anything though.

Hi, the fee I am referring to is for the full service history.

I wasn't suggesting there is a fee for the recall information, or corrective action.

Sorry for the error.

I got myself a bit confused. I'll try and find the site and provide a link for the service history info.

As you say the recall link it at the top of this thread, and it works nicely.

On 11/3/2021 at 4:34 PM, Rojie said:

Hi, the fee I am referring to is for the full service history.

I wasn't suggesting there is a fee for the recall information, or corrective action.

Sorry for the error.

I got myself a bit confused. I'll try and find the site and provide a link for the service history info.

As you say the recall link it at the top of this thread, and it works nicely.

I found the link to the provider of Full Service Histories, for those of us who may want, or need, one.

I have not (yet) used this company.

https://carvx.jp/

• Like 1