Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

On page 117 of the JPNZ Manual for 2008-2011 Alphard's it says " Always use the left leg to operate the brake pedal, Using the right leg could cause reactions to be delayed in the event of an accident "

Is it just me ?, I have had/driven dozens of autos and have NEVER done this......... .................Thoughts ??

And Yes I have bought a manual before I have even bought the car LOL 🤣

3 hours ago, Bazzer1955 said:

On page 117 of the JPNZ Manual for 2008-2011 Alphard's it says " Always use the left leg to operate the brake pedal, Using the right leg could cause reactions to be delayed in the event of an accident "

Is it just me ?, I have had/driven dozens of autos and have NEVER done this......... .................Thoughts ??

I agree with Steve,

That may be what is the required method in Japan.

Here?

You will fail your auto test !

I drive manuals and autos everyday. and have done for 35 years.

IMHO, safely driving an auto involves keeping your left foot on the floor, which can be quite difficult for drivers used to driving manuals.

Buying the manual before the car is, imho, an extremely sensible thing to do.

Delivery is quick, unlike many new purchases.

Safe Driving

Because racing driver. Few milliseconds can be saved using left foot rather than moving right foot from acc to brake pedal.

Also can bump up the revs when near end of breaking for a speedy get away.

Takes a while to get used to left foot braking. Just make sure no cars behind when you 1st try.

4 hours ago, L18m said:

Because racing driver. Few milliseconds can be saved using left foot rather than moving right foot from acc to brake pedal.

Also can bump up the revs when near end of breaking for a speedy get away.

Takes a while to get used to left foot braking. Just make sure no cars behind when you 1st try.

Try the 'Heal and Toe' technique.

The main problem, imho, with learning to drive an automatic when used to driving a manual is keeping your left foot off the brake otherwise you will create some 'excitement' behind you.

Always driven manual cars since the age of 17, I'm now 51. Four years ago I got my first automatic which was a Mercedes with the selector on the right hand stalk, with the indicator on the left stalk. My problem was not so much the clutch, it was going down to look for gear lever. 

Since getting my Vellfire, I now have a habit of turning indicators on to move it into drive, and putting the wipers when I turn. I will get used to is soon/

With regards to left foot braking, unless you are racing and need quick reaction to break and accelerate, don't do it. If you have been driving a manual car then you have trained you left leg to depress the clutch pedal all the way down. When you use your left foot, you may have a habit of breaking harder then you need, and I can't really see the need to risk this when you have been taught to use right foot for break and accelerator and never had a problem. Maybe countries that only really have automatics teach this way.

On 6/27/2022 at 1:19 PM, Bazzer1955 said:

I don't have the same manual as you. I have the Gen 1 version. 

Near page 117 there is reference to the pedals.

Reading mine, I think it is referring to the parking brake, but has omitted the word parking !!