Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Rear usb charger

I am putting a USB charger in the rear of the car as I have no ports at all on my 2009 Vellfire. I ran a cable from the head unit accessories 12v cable and permanent 12V cable to behind the glove box, then put in a four port fuse box to split the cable. The 12v permanent feed then goes to the dash cam parking monitor feed. The 12v accessory cable is split in three, one goes to the dashcam live feed, one goes to the USB charging port that is fitted next to the cigarette lighter port, the last is ready to be fed to the back, via the passenger chair to the centre console.

Today I removed the back panel of the centre console only to find, in true Toyota fashion, the cables for the three sockets in other models. Yippee I thought, a 12V supply that i can just tap into, but no, there is no voltage.

Does anybody know where these cables come out the other end so I can see if I can tap into them without having to remove the seat and centre console to run the cable?

On 8/27/2022 at 6:51 PM, Bazzer1955 said:

I stuck a usb converter/adapter in one of  the 110v sockets, can be switched on or off from the dash, doesn't get hot and is rated 110v to 240v. Gives me 3 usb sockets 👍

Would you be kind to provide the specific converter/adapter please? Thanks! 

15 hours ago, Lesz said:

Would you be kind to provide the specific converter/adapter please? Thanks! 

Hi

On ebay the item number is 174427583514 They work fine and you can turn them off on the dash switch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 1:12 PM, Bazzer1955 said:

Hi

On ebay the item number is 174427583514 They work fine and you can turn them off on the dash switch.

On 8/29/2022 at 1:12 PM, Bazzer1955 said:

Hi

Hi Barry,

I like this approach a lot.

I actually have a USB socket set into the 110v console area (and a cigarette socket) that run from my leisure battery.

I like your approach as it utilises existing wiring and is switchable from the dash.

Useful for gaining the attention of children or grandchildren.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Kramerica said:

Does it charge well? Bought the same, seems unable to charge the phone. Plugged in the Chrome cast, also had the same issue, not enough power until I switched to the cig 12V USB charger

Don't have a problem with ours, its not a fast charge but it charges ok, it just utilizes a socket that was there, if that makes sense

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2022 at 12:14 AM, MonsterS said:

I converted all those ports by removing the converter under the center box and soldering the wires on. 

Same here, the 100v Japanese power outlets were useless to me so I replaced them with 2 x dual USB outlets. They look good and most importantly, they work!

20220730_160826.jpg

7 hours ago, Damo_Oz said:

Same here, the 100v Japanese power outlets were useless to me so I replaced them with 2 x dual USB outlets. They look good and most importantly, they work!

20220730_160826.jpg

They do look really good. very professional.

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2022 at 12:32 AM, Damo_Oz said:

20220730_160826.jpg

Link? This size socket is not the same as the front ones, is it more like the shape of the 10 series switchs

9 hours ago, Chris.ac said:

Link? This size socket is not the same as the front ones, is it more like the shape of the 10 series switchs

AU $4.17  36%OFF | Car USB Interface Socket Charger Adapter and USB Audio Input Socket for TOYOTA Hilux VIGO With USB Audio 5V 2.1A USB Socket
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0HpNn2