Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Bike carrier

Hi , I purchased a secondhand Fiamma Bongo/Vito bike rack from ebay £70.  Then modified it to fit over the tailgate spoiler with some aluminium tubing.  Just cut and drill inserts to extend the length of top fittings over spoiler. If you have access to a tig welder easier to weld, than drill tubes and secure with bolts.

Nick

Edited by Nick K
spelling

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anyone identify the rack in this photo at least?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-ALPHARD-CAMPER-VAN-MOTORHOME-BRAND-NEW-SIDE-KITCHEN-BIKE-RACK-ULEZ-/224023107582

Whilst it would be good to know what can be fitted, I can see two problems with this. Even without a bike on it, the rack protrudes up quite high, coming into conflict with car park height barriers. This is why I don't want to have a roof-mounted solution - I don't want to increase my height!

Secondly, with bikes mounted they will also be really high - same as above; I want the bikes on the back so I can get under car park height barriers without taking the bikes off!

It is possible to get bikes down low on the back of an Alphard without obscuring the number plate too - I proved this last week with a cheapo Halfords universal bike carrier. Unfortunately it was otherwise a terrible carrier that swayed alarmingly and had to be completely re-installed after opening the boot. Hence wanting a fixed solution.

Who ever knew something as simple as a bike rack could be so damn complicated!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I came on to this thread while I was researching so just in case anyone else comes on here looking I ended up buying one of these https://www.driveden.com/product/fabbri-bici-ok-van-rear-mount-3-bike-carrier-7214?gclid=CjwKCAjwt7SWBhAnEiwAx8ZLajuW7c7o13U84AcYIWnZTLBV2rR3wbOv6DubUNk0cER3tkYyTTB68BoC6vAQAvD_BwE (FABBRI BICI OK VAN REAR MOUNT BIKE CARRIER which I've just put on for the first time and looks like its going to do the job nicely. I have a 2009 

17 minutes ago, BGC said:

I came on to this thread while I was researching so just in case anyone else comes on here looking I ended up buying one of these https://www.driveden.com/product/fabbri-bici-ok-van-rear-mount-3-bike-carrier-7214?gclid=CjwKCAjwt7SWBhAnEiwAx8ZLajuW7c7o13U84AcYIWnZTLBV2rR3wbOv6DubUNk0cER3tkYyTTB68BoC6vAQAvD_BwE (FABBRI BICI OK VAN REAR MOUNT BIKE CARRIER which I've just put on for the first time and looks like its going to do the job nicely. I have a 2009 

Hi Bryan,

Welcome to the Forum.

I just put my registration in (2006) and it does not fit.

Gen 1 owners please be extra cautious.

Hiya - mine was the same  - I think probably because it’s not a European car and this is a European product so it’s not listed. Essentially you need to have a tailgate. It’s not perfect because the tailgate on mine is very narrow so the rubber overlaps the tailgate a few mm but I thought I’d risk it and return it if it didn’t work. As long as I keep the straps done up tight I think it’s going to work fine but I’ll update here again once I’ve actually done a trip with it. I was just so pleased after my test fitting I thought i’d share while I remembered. I’ve attached a photo. Not looking to lead anyone into a mistaken purchase though!C3A55A80-EEBB-4D77-9C56-534D47A96680.thumb.jpeg.0275b818092dacf4ca06f2e498ae7fb6.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So I too have been looking for a bike carrier to go on the Alphard, My brother in law has a Saris Bones Ex - 3 Bike version which I dry fit tested the other night and it fits really well, I put a couple of bikes on it but I did not drive anywhere with it attached. They have a big Hyundai thing and are more than happy to use this most weekends when heading off to their caravan with three bikes on it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, 

Peter

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2023 at 4:26 PM, Birchpeter said:

So I too have been looking for a bike carrier to go on the Alphard, My brother in law has a Saris Bones Ex - 3 Bike version which I dry fit tested the other night and it fits really well, I put a couple of bikes on it but I did not drive anywhere with it attached. They have a big Hyundai thing and are more than happy to use this most weekends when heading off to their caravan with three bikes on it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, 

Peter

Peter, has the Saris Bones Bike rack worked fit your Toyota Alphard? Thanks, Sean 

• 1 month later...

Since this post was very useful when doing the research for mine, I wanted to post this to help others.

I got the Fabbri from above but in electric bike version (higher load capacity, overall and per rail). Works really well, picture attached!

Not sure how but I snatched it literally half price on Amazon. RPP is 220 GBP, but I got it much cheaper.

You can find it here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fabbri-AU85FA0620-ELEKTROBIKE-ALUMINUM-ELECTRIC/dp/B071P3DGRB

image.thumb.jpeg.f8a457a2446133ce4af279516f661423.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I have a 2003 Alphard and have acquired a bike rack like Bryan's (12/7 and 28/7/22). 

It fits well, but I am quite dubious about putting the top straps over the spoiler. It seems like there would be quite a bit of pressure on the spoiler.

Any thoughts? Is it fine or is there another way of attaching them.

Thanks

• 2 months later...