Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Mega thread Alphard MPG!

Another data point, this time urban driving in the series 20 hybrid.

1. Year 2012

2. Model Vellfire Hybrid

3. Driving 152km, town driving, shopping trips, ECO mode

4. MPG 25.3mpg

This and the last post were using E10. Next time I do a full tank I’ll try E5 instead. I also have a suspicion my hybrid battery isn’t working well as it loses a lot of charge overnight.

• Thanks 1

Thought I would share this

1. Year: 2009

2. Model: 2.4l Vellfire

3. Driving: Urban driving, normally stop start though the local councils traffic light system (I'm sure they have shares)

4. MPG: Dial reads 6.5m/l so conversion says 29.55mpg

• 2 weeks later...

1. 2010

2. Vellfire 3.5 V6 FWD

3. 90% city driving, traffic lights, stop starts, etc 10% motorway

4. 25 mpg

The 25 mpg wasn't using the computer readout, was me calculating the litres of fuel used over X amount of miles. Should be noted that I used an extremely light right foot, just being very conscious to try and get the best fuel consumption. There was maybe a few occasions where I put the foot down, but only a few.

• 1 month later...

There does seem to be a huge divergence between not just different engines / models but also between different experiences of similar specs - presumably mostly down to styles of driving. 

I'm currently considering a 2012 2.4 hybrid Velfire 'Executive Lounge' and have a feeling it is perhaps not going to be quite as frugal as I'd hoped. My wife is gently turning my attention to a 2015 Voxy hybrid (1.8L), which does not pique my interest in the same way the Alphard does, but it is undoubtedly more economical and, in the long run, would be more in tune with the way things are going in terms of environmental considerations and fuel prices. 

Decisions decisions... 🤨  

Edited by VirtualGuy
Additional and revised thoughts

33 minutes ago, VirtualGuy said:

I'm currently considering a 2012 2.4 hybrid Velfire 'Executive Lounge' and have a feeling it is not going to be as frugal as I'd hoped.

Mine is the lowest mpg data I’ve seen for an Alphard/Vellfire hybrid, series 10 or 20. I do think the battery’s on the way out but I can’t find anyone to diagnose it. That said, it’s lovely to drive.

Even in the best case though it’s not going to be cheap to run. It’s huge - I parked next to an Estima yesterday and there’s quite a size difference, the Voxy’s even smaller. So I’d pick what size you need and go with that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arthurj said:

Mine is the lowest mpg data I’ve seen for an Alphard/Vellfire hybrid, series 10 or 20. I do think the battery’s on the way out but I can’t find anyone to diagnose it. That said, it’s lovely to drive.

Even in the best case though it’s not going to be cheap to run. It’s huge - I parked next to an Estima yesterday and there’s quite a size difference, the Voxy’s even smaller. So I’d pick what size you need and go with that.

1 minute ago, arthurj said:

Could be good advice there, thanks.  The estima is not right for our needs - we like the height and the generally larger vehicle.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 10:02 AM, OldWellhouse said:

UPDATE!

I must have gotten this wrong somehow but I was driving like Miss Daisy and I sat behind a Royal Mail truck on the motorway.

582kms = 361mls used 48.8L of E5. By my calculations(google) that makes 33.6MPG? 

Surely that isn't right?

For me 48.8 divisable 3.6 * 13.5 lts per 100 kms seems to me better

• 11 months later...
On 8/28/2022 at 7:01 PM, arthurj said:

Mine shows 6.3km/L. I'm bit heavy on my right foot.  2014 Hybrid. Don't think I never use Hybrid as the engine starts nearer to 20mph. 

• 7 months later...

2010 GGH20 3.5V6 

With the oem 18s and a fresh service iv had 13.2km/L on a long run at around 60mph. Usually would be 12.5km/l close to 35mpg. But iv moved to 20" wheels and cant get much better than 11km/l so 32mpg. Really noticeable drop so may look at selling them and searching for light weight alloys instead. 

2008 AH10 Alphard V 2.4 AS converted camper (rear kitchen, poptop)

Last tank 15.5mpg

In fairness all urban/extra urban.  Does nearly twice that on a long run (best I've seen is just over 30 I think).

I did start off on E10 which was fine, but definitely find it drives a bit better (perkier, torquier) on E5 so that's all I use now.  Last fill £102.