Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

SHIFTER ILLUMINATION

Wife took it to work again lol, says a lot when her car is a 2008 Mercedes S class 3lt V6.

Probably have to look at it the weekend but it does seem odd that apparently you can buy an illuminated transparent gadget to put under the shifter to light up the gateway but I am unable to find anyone in the UK that sells them. 

ILLUMINATED GATEWAY.jpg

6 minutes ago, dave murrell said:

Wife took it to work again lol, says a lot when her car is a 2008 Mercedes S class 3lt V6.

Probably have to look at it the weekend but it does seem odd that apparently you can buy an illuminated transparent gadget to put under the shifter to light up the gateway but I am unable to find anyone in the UK that sells them. 

ILLUMINATED GATEWAY.jpg

That looks like and AliExpress Chineseium special. Unlikely you will get anything like that in the uk

It is expensive for about 6 led and a piece of acrylic, would it take much to make one I wonder...

But now another mysterious object looms behind the rear view mirror and I dont know if this can be removed or best left in, anyway it looks like this inside, just laft of the square sticker.

IMG_20231127_174412.jpg

Sorry Dave, I've realised you have an AH20 (Mk2), mine is an earlier AH10 (Mk1).

The AH10 definitely has illumination in the auto shifter, not sure about the AH20.  I should think that it ought to, unless Toyota removed it for cost cutting!

As to your other question, that's the factory light and rain sensor.  Definitely don't remove that!  The other little square one with etc written on it is part of the Japanese automated road toll system, that can be removed/hidden behind the roof lining.  You might find some stick on antennas on either side of the front and rear screens.  These are etc antennas and can also be hidden/removed.

The numbers/letters on the shifter should be illuminated.

The bezel around the shifter is not, that's an AliExpress/Amazon.jp mod.

The device nearest rear view mirror is for auto windscreen wipers, it's a rain detector.

ETC, useless in this country, can be removed, would be interested to see if they connected it to anything up top or if it has it's own wire run to fuse box.

Furthest unit is dash cam, obviously.

Edited by Chris.ac

Thank you Chris,

The car has only been in the country a few weeks and the head unit was replaced for an android unit, could be that the plug you mention was left unplugged by accident hence no illumination, will take the centre panel off the weekend and take some pics as well.

As for that dashcam unfortunately it does not come on unless there is some magic swear word I need to utter 🤔

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2023 at 11:04 AM, dave murrell said:

Thank you Chris,

The car has only been in the country a few weeks and the head unit was replaced for an android unit, could be that the plug you mention was left unplugged by accident hence no illumination, will take the centre panel off the weekend and take some pics as well.

As for that dashcam unfortunately it does not come on unless there is some magic swear word I need to utter 🤔

There is a manual available, it's in Japanese.

There also always to be software you can install on pc to manage the files it records.